Coralife Super Skimmer Mod help

Shagsbeard

I hate asking this, but I've spent the last 20 minutes looking through threads for the info... and it's such a simple question.

How do I go about attaching PVC where the flexable hose comes out of the Coralife Super Skimmer 125?

I understand the rest of the project, but don't want to mess up the connection with the device leaving me with a broken skimmer.

mission man

I can try to explain: When you take out the flex tube, you need to cut off the tubing from the end that connects into the skimmer return pipe. After you tear the tube off you will be left with the piece that connects into the return pipe. (has the vent hole tube coming out of it)Then you can insert that piece into pvc fittings. I belive it goes into 1" pvc fittings.
Dont be worried, I though the same thing when I modded mine. I was like ok I tear the tube off this piece and its not right then Im screwed. HTH :smokin:

Shagsbeard

Does the piece with the tube in it act as a male or female in the joint? By that I mean does the 1" pipe fit in it, or do I fit it into a 1" female fitting?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Shagsbeard

I'll be using a coupling to attach it to a 6" or so length of 1" pvc as the skimmer will sit next to my sump. The cabinet I have doesn't have the head room to fit it under, so I'm plumbing it adjacent to the cabinet, through the wall, and into the sump.

Pbrown3701

I didn't cut anything on mine. I just pulled off the flexible hose part (comes off by pulling).

Then a simple 1" pipe fits in its place. I just press fit it in. I use a Gate Valve to regulate flow for better accuracy and when I need to clean the skimmer, i pull off the PVC output part and valve to drop the level in the skimmer. Then just push it back on when done. Again, no cutting required...

Pbrown3701

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8085734#post8085734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shagsbeard
I'll be using a coupling to attach it to a 6" or so length of 1" pvc as the skimmer will sit next to my sump. The cabinet I have doesn't have the head room to fit it under, so I'm plumbing it adjacent to the cabinet, through the wall, and into the sump.

Be sure your extension pipe doesn't travel up from the skimmer or you will not be able to adjust the level. It should slope gently downward to the sump if possible (and don't submerge the output or pressure will build in the pipe and cause fluctuation in water level in the skimmer)

vanceny

did the same as pbrown but also drilled a vent hole in the 90 degree elbow. Easier than cutting the flex tube.