coralline algae

Vorog

So I think I figured out why my coralline algae is not taking off in my tank as much as my sump, or inside my overflow. I believe the issue is I have a ton of asterina starfish that I think consume the surface film on top of the coralline. Because I have noticed where the starfish can't get to or don't go near I have growth...but the rocks and glass don't have much. I have noticed a nice spot on the glass starting to form, then a day or two later a starfish sitting on top of it and in a few days that spot is almost gone. So I think it's time for me to get a harlequin shrimp soon and let him go nuts for a while. Anyone else have this issue?

I've had this issue occur in the past. Ever since then, I keep a harlequin shrimp in all my display tanks, though lately I've been debating putting him in the sump since I really want a blue linckia star.

So I think I figured out why my coralline algae is not taking off in my tank as much as my sump, or inside my overflow. I believe the issue is I have a ton of asterina starfish that I think consume the surface film on top of the coralline. Because I have noticed where the starfish can't get to or don't go near I have growth...but the rocks and glass don't have much. I have noticed a nice spot on the glass starting to form, then a day or two later a starfish sitting on top of it and in a few days that spot is almost gone. So I think it's time for me to get a harlequin shrimp soon and let him go nuts for a while. Anyone else have this issue?

I am having the same exact problem and looking into the same remedy. I have hundreds of asterina stars but I have no issues with coral just coraline

I find this very interesting. I have the same issue with coralline not growing on rocks, but never really paid much attention to it. I also have a bunch of those stars in my tank.

This makes sense.

Great reading, I was also intrigued why coralline wasn't growing on my tank glass and of course hundreds of these tiny starfish everywhere.
Thanks for sharing

Back