corals next to each other

ericmcginn5

this might sound like a stupid question but how closs can i put my corals next to each other if they are corals that dont sting and they are all soft corals and leather corals.

Just because they are soft corals doesn't mean that they can't have a chemical warfare and kill their neighbor. Some of my mushrooms have killed my sps corals in spots. There are too many variables to correctly answer your question, but as a good starting point I would keep a couple of inches or more between corals.

I guess that depends on what you want your tank to look like. Do you want it to look like a frag tank or do you want them to get bigger and look like a show tank?

I had the same question and the short answer is that you have to check one by one. As RA said, start with 2 inches apart. Once they start to grow they'll fill in the voids and you'll be able to tell which ones are inhibiting the growth of the others. From here you can decide what to do.

that is what i do too....you can see pics in m update photo thread...things are pretty cramped in my tank with very little warfare.

mind you the duncan is irritating my devils hand

this might sound like a stupid question but how closs can i put my corals next to each other if they are corals that dont sting and they are all soft corals and leather corals.

My 240 gets wall to wall softies.
They can touch.

I once put my corals next to each other, touching and they burned. I wouldn't put them too close maybe a few inches away from each other will be good!

my softy tank is packed with corals... most touch... no issues.... everything opens up and expands every day

Some softies can touch each other just fine, but its usually a problem waiting to happen if you put a softie too close to a sps or lps IME. Some lps have nasty stingers they put out at night that can reach a good ways, some sps can be nasty as well. Research is the best place to start, followed by a little trail and error, just keep a eye on everything. Usually more distance is better, because that small frag will be a big colony someday...

Back