Corals w/o light?

There's not an absolute answer as corals have different lighting requirements. Plus, every room will have varying ambient light that will benefit the corals even if the tank lighting is out.

I would guess that most corals would last at least a week without light, probably a little longer.

Thanks for replying I just sold my light and my new one wont arrive until saturday, they have been without light since monday, so i was thinking they would be ok, just wanted some more opinions.

Ken

I went through the same phase selling my light. SPS will last no more than 5 days. They will get stressed badly and unless you give them the right conditons they wont come back. LPS you have about a week. Softies I dont know as I tried to kill some shrooms on a rock and they still came back.

I think you'll be fine. None of those are extremely light demanding. I'm assming you have a little bit of ambient light in the room, right?

Dang Ken you should have told me. I could have waited a few days for you to ship the light. I hope everything turns out OK.

Tim

lol no worries, Im very confident everything will be fine, i have plenty of ambient lighting (windows) and i put my halogen over top =) Tim let me know how the light turns out.

Might sound crazy but if you have direct sunlight coming in to the room. Would it be possible to get a mirror and direct it at the tank for a little while? I don't know if it would work or not. If some one know maybe they could chime in. Would the sun light lose it's beneficial rays? just a thought. Sorry if it's stupid.

If you lose anything it may the flower pot. The torch and hammer may recede, but they will make it. Like said above if you have light in the room it will help. My tank has two book shelves that block all the light. When is the new light coming?

Remember in the ocean there are cloudy days where the sun doesnt even come out and days where it is partly cloudy without constant light so you should be fine.

Back