COVID-19 Therapy 10 Nano build

plankton

Premium Member
Years ago I had built a fully automated 10 gallon SPS tank and just thoroughly enjoyed the tank until one day I did the unthinkable and went on vacation. We came back to find that the tank had crashed and I just didn't have the time, energy nor motivation to rebuild. Well thanks to the Corona virus and 'shelter in place' policy that our State gov has decreed I have ALOT of time to think about and (re) build my nano. This time around I'm sticking with the basics and starting REAL simply and may add complexity later.

So, tank was born last monday. Just 10G of RO/DI, two pieces of live rock, one return and one circulation pump. That's it. No heater, nor controller, no thing else. Each day I add about 6 oz of RO/DI top off and will do water change and start testing at 2 weeks. I did seed the tank with Prodibio Marine Starter culture and carbon source I had.

After about a month will probably add some chaeto and sea lettuce. Plan for tank is some LPS and softies. Maybe some Montipora after tank is stable.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Good point. As someone who has been 'out of the game' for several years all those tips/and tricks are slowly coming back. I think the LR having sat in my garage for 5 years is dead'ish. I did rinse and scrub with new tooth brush but fully expect the LR to have to cycle and hoping that no nuisance algae or any other nasty miraculously resurrects from the dead.

How do you normally Quarantine chaeto? I remember dipping SPS in iodine but I don't remember what you do with algae to kill off any 'bad' hitchhikers.

Thanks for the welcome and sage advice on treating the chaeto. The very last thing i want to do is seed some nuisance pest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added RKE and single PC4 to control ATO. Might as well since MyReef v2.0 still floating around and have all of the wires n such.

57f6b8e6f5983589409e24e4a7e6f8e0.jpg

Added NET module and after a series of false starts got it working to email me If tank param is off. Check!

Then measured for nitrates to see If tank cycle has started. Nope. Zero. I know one week is not even remotely long enough even if I seeded with bacteria which I did. Just wishful thinking. Will probably measure for nitrate weekly until I can detect some.

Nothing else to do but wait ...

Back