crab ID pls

lsher

coolest thing i have in my tank. Richard (TBS) sent him along with my rock and when he first came he looked kinda like an arrow crab, but he started putting all this stuff on him and making himself look like the soundings. I've figured he's a decorator crab, but not sure ..

any info would be helpful - thanks

74368158.b0Jc6at5._MG_2561.jpg

73894000.7RidwYWS._MG_2418_edited1.jpg

73967981.0PBdhl7b._MG_2466_edited1.jpg

Well he certainly has decorated himself. Sorry aside from that observation I cant really help. Being a crab though its likely that it isnt a good guy. Whether he's going to harm anything in your tank may be another story though.

Definitely a decorator, family Majidae, and he (or she) will always be taking bits of algae & sessile inverts off your rocks for disguise & defense. It looks like an Achaeus species but the common ones decorate differently. Like most crabs an opportunistic predator/scavenger.

I prefer crabs & worms so I'd keep him. Who needs corals? :D

How do you feel about him? Whether to keep something is a decision people have to make on their own. You think he's cool & may not mind him nipping off chunks of stuff for decorating. Others would be horrified & dump him immediately.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9252284#post9252284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH
I prefer crabs & worms so I'd keep him. Who needs corals? :D

thanks for the feedback - must think it over

if i get rid of him do you or anyone else out there want him?

told my wife about this thread and she seamed reluctant to let him/her go. she likes it ...

if i decided to get rid of it I will send to you ... the rock is from the Gulf of Mexico ... off the Florida cost ... specifically from Tampabay Saltwater

i think leslie would kill it.and if it came from tbs then its gulf of mexico rock.

ill take it if you dont mind. just moved my mantis to a larger tank and his old 12g is just sitting there

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9256468#post9256468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rekn
i think leslie would kill it.and if it came from tbs then its gulf of mexico rock.

ill take it if you dont mind. just moved my mantis to a larger tank and his old 12g is just sitting there

Since your a gangsta wouldn't you kill it too? :uzi:

:lmao: :lmao:

seriously - not sure want i'm gonna do yet - the wife really likes him and he has not been destructive

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9256552#post9256552 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lsher
Since your a gangsta wouldn't you kill it too? :uzi:

:lmao: :lmao:

seriously - not sure want i'm gonna do yet - the wife really likes him and he has not been destructive

Then by all means keep it - I think crabs are much more entertaining than any other tank inhabitant!

Back