Cupramine and API

WhoDat?

What should my reading be on my API copper test? I'm dosing Cupramine in my QT and want to make sure I maintain therapeutic levels.... thanks!!

Mostly be sure your salinity stays rock solid (ie so dilution remains constant)---can;t help you otherwise. i don't use copper, myself. But dilution matters in the case of any dissolved treatment. Make a waterline mark on your qt and never let water leave that line.

I don't treat. I observe until and unless something manifests, like ich, etc. [I haven't seen a case of ich since about 2005, and part of that is caution in buying fish, and buying from a shop that itself takes precautions.] Then if I have to treat, I can choose the right med for what the fish actually has, instead of treating with something, then having to clear out one med in order to treat with another (by which time the fish is already suffering from the first med.) Copper is a pretty rough med that can damage a fish, especially if it comes from a place that has already used it; and some species of fish (angels, eg) are particularly sensitive to the treatment. I think we have a list of fishes that react to it in the Fish Disease forum, in the thread about meds and treatments. TTM is a really good treatment, but as aforesaid, ich is so rare for me, in the stores I use, I just wait until I see something.

I gotcha... thanks... I have a blue tang in QT now... I noticed 3 ich spots on him after buying... that’s why I went with copper.... his spots are gone now... and no new spots have come back... he seems to be doing well and eating a lot...

I continue copper for 14 days past the last spot seen.
Then 7 with no copper.
Then in she goes.

Eating is so, so important.

I agree with Uncle: go the time he said, rather than change horses midstream; but watch his appetite. If he starts slowing down on food, remove the copper and continue to observe in a med-free tank.

I somewhat agree with sk8r, im not a big fan of QT nor have the time or resources. Personally taking the time out to get to know you lfs and observing your purchases prior is probably more important then QT in my opion. Im lucky to be local to at least 5 saltwater lfs all super competitive with different QT process some better then others. Not to mention surrounded by natural reefs, i know not all have this luxury, from my research its all about keeping your copper levels stable each day otherwise it is inaeffective. Some research suggest ich life cycle is 72 days but still not 100% garentee. Im not expert but just from what I have researched. Id love to do proper QT but cant maybe in the future, its a very discapline process that requires a lot of effort for complete eradication vs management.

Some one with more experience will correct me if im wrong but just my 2 cents

Regards

Also just want to add, you need to be visual with ich, it may look like no spots but they can live under there gills as well, you need to take the propper precuations to fully eliminate it. But ich is only one potential problem out of many

Back