Curing Live Rock/Ocean Rock

cwschoon

Premium Member
I am interested in methods/opinions on curing Live Rock-actual fresh "live" rock from the Ocean. Is a fresh water dip advised, or will this kill off the biodiversity which I want to achieve, by using Live Rock in the first place.
Thanks.

You are correct. A fresh water dip will kill off biodiversity. Get it in saltwater with circulation, as soon as possible. This will preserve the life that you paid for, and allow time for some die-off from shipping/handling. I generally do this right in the tank, but lots of people cure live rock in trash cans with a circulation pump. Whatever works for your circumstances.

Actually Michael, I was seeking learned opinion/fact to "de-program" a newbie from the horrible anecdotal information he has been getting. I have been a hobbyist all of my life and was in the aquatic industry for a number of years.
This person has started a system by adding some primo live rock-great!-and there is one single aiptasia on the rock.....he has been advised to do things, such as to soak the rock in RO and hydrogen peroxide to get rid of this beast for a few days, as it will "destroy" his system if he does not eradicate it. False anecdotal info really is the bane of this hobby.
Thanks again. I encourage all that are new to the hobby to join RC and ask their own questions and search their own info but you know what happens, when someone has "been doing this for years" and imparts his/her "facts". I dread the first ich experience and I can see it now......garlic, ginger, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Nice of you to help out a rookie. Tell him to get a Peppermint Shrimp or two. I've had great success with them, for controlling aiptasias.

Back