Custom Aquarium Spec Advise

jadejesus69

I am new to salt water aquariums and made the biggest mistake in my new aquarium build. I bought a used tank 36" tall X 36" wide X 24" deep. Yes, it is a very tall tank. This tank is the center piece of my family living room on a custom entertainment center.

When I purchased the used aquarium, I knew it was built with tempered glass, but didn't realize that it was 3/8 inch. After a year and a half after it being setup, one day a small water leak showed up in the front glass seam about 15 inches from the bottom.

After talking to several local aquarium builders, I had two main new aquarium build recommendations. The first builder said to go with 3/4 inch non-tempered glass all around. I am afraid that is would look clunky because of the glass 3/4 inch thickness. Although I imagine it would be the most rigid. I am also concerned about the overall weight of the 3/4 inch glass.

The second aquarium builder recommended a 3/4 inch non-tempered glass bottom with 1/2 inch sides and back non-tempered glass, and a starphire (low iron) 1/2 inch front glass. For structural rigidity, he recommended using a top and bottom 2 inch brace with 1/2 inch glass. I am leaning more towards this design spec because of better cosmetic appearance of 1/2 inch glass seams and overall weight.

Will the second aquarium build specs work? Will it stand the water pressure without caving in and leaking, as my 3/8 inch aquarium did?

Calling all veteran aquarium builders to please let me know what I should do.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3
Back