Euro bracing rimless tank

M3AN ONE

I have a 4x4 rimless tank I want to convert to a Euro brace tank any tips regarding implementation silicone to use ect tank is 3/4 inch does the brace need to be as thick? also I see ppl putting lips on euro brace for recessed lids how would I go about that? I reached out to glass cages but freight would be $400 plus just to ship so I will have to source glass locally.

1713290315852.png

Something like this
1713290354849.png

Looks like they are double stacking glass to get lip affect
1713290389366.png

Momentive rtv 103 or 108 for silicone. Glass cages uses 3/8” glass for eurobraces. Typically 3” wide on top of 5” glass to make cross braces.

I am just going to go around the perimeter any clue how to double stack the glass to get the inside lip?

I am just going to go around the perimeter any clue how to double stack the glass to get the inside lip?
Lots of clamps and blocking to hold the first few pieces. You would want a slightly wider piece on the bottom and a narrower piece siliconed on top. If your tank glass thickness is 3/4" subtract that number from the bottom pieces measurement to get the lip.
eurobrace.jpg
eurobrace2.jpg

Lots of clamps and blocking to hold the first few pieces. You would want a slightly wider piece on the bottom and a narrower piece siliconed on top. If your tank glass thickness is 3/4" subtract that number from the bottom pieces measurement to get the lip.
View attachment 32400136View attachment 32400137
can you share a picture of the corner? Im thinking of doing 3/8 thickness and on the sides with the lip double that up so almost a inch. If I go 3/4 the second brace will go to far into the tank below the waterline.

I ordered what @ironwill723 suggested better to play it safe.

couple questions
1 Do I install the lip underneath first and 2 will I have to remove the pre existing silicone 3/8ths a inch of from the corner since the lip is 3/8th. 3 will I be connecting the 2 pieces of glass stacked on each other to each other or both just to the glass.

1713359181713.png

Also what gap should I leave between glass pieces looks like my tank currently is gaped 1/8th of a inch between seams

I would work in parallel pieces. Do the two parallel long side pieces first that sit on the top edge of the tank glass. Then do the opposite two parallel pieces on the other two sides of the tank that sit perpendicular underneath those first two pieces. I wouldn't mess with the original silicone in the interior seam. Just clean off the top of the glass edge around the tank with a razor blade and alcohol. I usually use painters tape to mask my lines. 1/8" gap is what I usually do. Either of the silicones is fine. I prefer the Momentive. If you go on Glasscages website or facebook page there are thousands of pictures you can reference.

Last edited:
A machine shop cannot as well? I wasnt going to plan on cutting it myself.
From this website

Once you temper a piece of glass, it is not possible to cut it again without shattering it or leaving it weakened and unfit for its original purpose.
Yes correct. Once glass is tempered no more modifications can be made. So if you decided later on you needed a bulkhead hole drilled etc. that would not be possible after the piece is fabricated.

Back