Cyanide Fishing Solution?

that is good news....
now if they could only develope a similar test to detect rhino horn and tiger testicles in containers :-(

This is excellent news, but we are going to need to work hard to put this into affect. Not many, in fact almost no retailers have direct communication with their collectors (the ones who would be using the Cyanide). Even some if not most wholesalers don't have direct communication with their collectors. So it's going to take a large effort to enforce this method, from a consumers point of view.

I want my own test kit. Then I can avoid retailers selling these fish. Loss of money would be a nice arm twist in the right direction on this issue.

I want my own test kit. Then I can avoid retailers selling these fish. Loss of money would be a nice arm twist in the right direction on this issue.

Loss of money+bad business spread across a forum = OUT OF BUSINESS

FWIW, many retailers and wholesalers in the US actively try not to buy anything captured with cyanide. In most areas, its use is illegal. In the late 1990's, there were less than 10% of fish for the aquarium trade caught using cyanide. (Food fish is another story, and where most cyanide use still exists)

Sadly, the lack of enforcement is leading to increased cyanide use, and it doesn't help that funding for most testing is also gone now. The offending collectors are no longer Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines, they are now mostly related to China.

It's too early to say if the new testing can help, it will need funding, but it's at least le3ss destructive than the older methods. It's tough to test for cyanide in a live organism, it gets metabolized pretty quickly.

Jeff

This is such a real and active fear of mine after spending a couple months getting my copper band butterfly eating and fattened up. I won't feel safe with him until I pass the 6 month mark.

There are no kits available on a hobbyist level, and not really at an industrial level either. This latest test method being worked on is the first and only method that doesn't involve the fish being dead. Seems to have to some work to be done on it yet, but does seem promising. So it really comes down to where the fish came from, and certain amount of trust...

was just looking for information like this last night man i have good luck ,,, THANKS for posting this

I always recall this article ( http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/sp/index.php ) and wonder if we are chasing a red herring here, and would benefit from improving the whole care chain rather than focussing on one thing.

Perhaps fish like copperbands simply do not do well in aquaria, and to blame a mystery death after 6 months on cyanide is not really likely.

Wayne,

You are quite right that the entire supply chain needs improving. Many of the symptoms originally attributed to cyanide actually turned to be a result of prolonged starvation in the supply chain.

Back