Dburt520 DSA Neo 105 Build

dburt520

Well, not much of a build thread because it is complete, but wanted to get my tank thread started. This tank was an upgrade from a 40G that was 99% DIY. I was happy with almost all of it except for the sump arrangement. I lacked room for ANYTHING as I went with a 40B sump. I was in the process of planning how to fix that and came across a great deal on a tank that I have had my eye on for a long while... so here we are! I want this tank to be primarily SPS and I am setting it up that way from day one reactors, aquascape, flow etc.)

Tank is awesome! I love it thus far. I also purchased the DSA stand and it is also very nicely made.

Specs of tank:
DSA Neo 105 (Herbie overflow)
Trigger Systems Ruby 30 sump
Maxspec Razor 16K 27"
Vortech MP40
Reef Octopus 160INT Skimmer
Waveline DC6000 return pump
Tunze 3155 ATO
Bubble Magus C120AT Calcium Reactor (Aquariumplants.com Carbon Doser Regulator)

Here are a few pics to get things started.

I sold off/gave away almost all of my corals as I wanted this to be SPS heavy, however I kept my zoa rock as well as my Duncan.

Thanks
Dave

Nice looking setup. In the picture of the electrical board, are the 4 plugs inserted into a GFCI? I see a potential safety issue if water goes over the side of the tank on to your electric components. Would hate to see something bad happen.

I am working on enclosing that side of the tank/outlets with a diy acrylic box as I type this... I wanted everything contained in/on the stand and I opted for the electrical there to keep the clutter out from inside the stand (that's one thing I hated with my last tank).

Good to hear. I had everything under the tank on my first reef. I upgraded size and moved as much as I could to the basement.

Been a little while, but wanted to post an update as things are still going well.

I have changed a few things over the past few months...

Brought the CA reactor online - things are going well and holding my levels steady

Swapped out the ReefOctopus skimmer for a Sea Side aquatics ES5 (I think the 160INT was just to big for me and my bio load. I couldn't get it to skim ANYTHING except water. I couldn't even get a tan/tea colored water. The ES5 is awesome and pulls out cups of dark brown/black skimmate so I am happy).

I swapped out the Razor for a Geisseman Infinity fixture - best upgrade I've made since I've been in the hobby. This fixture is awesome, extremely bright and beautiful. I am running 2 250W Phoenix 14K, and for the T5 lighting I am running 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Actinic, and 1 ATI Aquablue Special. I am not sure if it is pure coincidence of timing, or if MH really is that much better but I swapped the light on Wednesday of this week, and I have noticed more growth in the last 4 days than I did in the last 4 months with the Razor.

I don't have a good camera yet (I am hoping to acquire one for Christmas), so I only have some crappy cell phone pics. I really wish I could get some good pics because I am finally getting some AWESOME color, and great growth. It simply is amazing what 4 days of good lighting can do.

A FTS First:

Of course. Are you wanting inside simensions, or height? It is obviously 48"lx24d. I will measure the height if that's what your looking for.

Back