Dead Snail?

thedomes

Hey! I have a spiny astrea snail in my 65 gallon tank that hasn't moved in over 48 hours. I've picked him up a couple of times just to check and see if he has any smell but to me it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary and I've read that it can smell like roadkill. I also read that they have trap doors on their shells but to me I can't tell, it just looks black... And I'm not sure if that's normal either. We just got our first fish and invertebrates on Wednesday of last week and everybody seems to be doing well other than this one snail.

PXL_20221024_151149423_exported_1666624340919.jpg

Hey! I have a spiny astrea snail in my 65 gallon tank that hasn't moved in over 48 hours. I've picked him up a couple of times just to check and see if he has any smell but to me it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary and I've read that it can smell like roadkill. I also read that they have trap doors on their shells but to me I can't tell, it just looks black... And I'm not sure if that's normal either. We just got our first fish and invertebrates on Wednesday of last week and everybody seems to be doing well other than this one snail.

View attachment 32375312
Did you drip acclimate it? Snails stun pretty easily from parameter changes and are best dripped for 2+ hours. I highly recommend an Accudrip. Makes life super easy. Having said that, snails can park for several days so you'll just have to wait and see now.
accudrip_1_1_1_400x.jpg

do you have any algae in the tank? might be hungry
Well we just got them last week Wednesday and between them and the other members of our CUC they removed a LOT of algae. We did just put a piece of seaweed on a rock to try to entice him to come out. Our urchin is on his way over now haha.

Attachments

• Collage_2022-10-20_20_54_48.jpg
    Collage_2022-10-20_20_54_48.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Hard to tell, but if it’s dead, and the snail is still in it, it’ll stink like heck. If it’s dead but crabs got to it, there likely won’t be much of a smell

Hmmm. We don't have any crabs right now. Only 2 clowns, 2 urchins and the remainder are other snails.

Did you drip acclimate it? Snails stun pretty easily from parameter changes and are best dripped for 2+ hours. I highly recommend an Accudrip. Makes life super easy. Having said that, snails can park for several days so you'll just have to wait and see now.
View attachment 32375313
Thanks! We didn't, just did the cup method a few times. The rest of the snails are doing good but 🤷 who knows. I will look into getting one of these. Thank you for the advice.

Back