Dewey's 180+ gal reef build thread

I'm pumped to see the tank? When is it supposed to arrive?

Yeah, you and me both :)
Tracking shows it has arrived at the destination terminal, so I am hoping to have it delivered and set up on Wednesday or Thursday. I have almost 300 gallons of water waiting ...
Then I can schedule my rock and sand from TBS, hopefully just after Christmas.

I have confirmation that the tanks will be delivered today. I hope to have it plumbed and wet tomorrow. Pics coming soon!

Arrived!

Arrived!

The 180 gal tank, stand and sump arrived as scheduled! Currently in my garage - the folks from Barrier Reef Aquariums come by first thing in the morning to put in place and get it plumbed.

Tanks in place!

Tanks in place!

I've got the tanks in place, now on to the plumbing...

Here is the 180 gal Display

And the 75 gal Refugium/Pest Tank

Plumbing

Plumbing

Whew! The plumbing is all done. This was my first sump/plumbing project and it was a bit of a doozy with both the 180 and the 75 plumbing into the tideline sump, but I got 'er all done with no leaks now. The tanks are filled and all the water flow in place. I've put in my order from Richard at TBS - should be arriving on Saturday, January 9th.

This gives me time to get a few more things in place: skimmer, chiller, all the apex components, etc.

Apex

Apex

This is my first experience with the Apex and I am loving it so far. Just got a few components plugged in - wav, temp probe, heater and leak detectors with some basic email/sms alerting in place.

<b>Heater outlet:</b>
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 79.5 Then ON
If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF

<b>Email Alert:</b>
Set OFF
If Temp > 80.0 Then ON
If Temp < 79.5 Then ON
If Swx8_1 CLOSED Then ON
If Swx8_2 CLOSED Then ON
If Error WAV_6 Then ON
If Error WAV_7 Then ON

Also have my Nest Cam Video hooked into the media section (which wasn't straightforward to do).

Tanks up and running

Tanks up and running

Here's the 180. Doesn't look like much yet - just a dark blue box :)

And here is the 75 gal - I haven't installed the lights yet, and I need to get a black backing, but it is filled, all plumbed to the sump, and up and running.

What are your thoughts on the WAVs? In process on my build too... Bought some jebaos and a converter but I'm really considering splurging on the WAVs and relegating the jebaos to the frag tank

What are your thoughts on the WAVs? In process on my build too... Bought some jebaos and a converter but I'm really considering splurging on the WAVs and relegating the jebaos to the frag tank

I like them so far, but it is pretty early. Easy to set up, nice monitoring features. The flow around the empty tank looks quite good with the 2 pumps for the 6 ft 180 gal tank, but it is a bit hard to tell for sure until I get some stock in there.

There is no way you will need a chiller for that system. You are running DC pumps and LED'S. You will need about 1000 watts of heaters though. Depends on how warm you keep the rooms that the tanks are in.
Daniel. :wavehand:

There is no way you will need a chiller for that system. You are running DC pumps and LED'S. You will need about 1000 watts of heaters though. Depends on how warm you keep the rooms that the tanks are in.
Daniel. :wavehand:

Hi Daniel, yeah I think you're probably right. I ordered another heater today. The chiller is gong to be in place, but I bet it doesn't get used much. One day I'll have to find another use for it :)

Back