Diatom's and Green Hair Algae, I think...

caseyz

My first shipment of TBS LR and LS have been in my tank since last Tuesday night and I started to see some diatom's over the weekend, and it is spreading a bit. Also, when I got home from work today, I noticed what I think is the beginnings of hair algae on the glass and some rocks.

Is the normal with TBS stuff?

Tank Params so far:

12/30/2003 1/4/2003
Ammonia 0 0.1 .25 -1 0.8 0.1
Nitrites 0 0.1 .1 - .25 0.1 0.25
Nitrates 0 5 10 .10 - .25
PH 8.2 8 8.1 8.2
Temp 80 80 81 81
SG 1.025 1.025 1.025 1.025 1.025

Normal ecological progression with a new tank.

You get a diatom bloom, then, you get a hair algae bloom. This is one of the reasons why you don't illuminate your tank for 12 hrs/day during the startup period. The diatom bloom recedes; the hair algae bloom recedes; your cleanup crew begins to be able to catch up with your algae, as your algae eat up the fertilizer in the tank. At some point, macroalgae begin to grow large enough to be able to outcompete the diatom & hair algae.

Just use a magnet or scraper to scrape stuff off of your tank walls, and a baster to blow the diatoms off your rock. Once you get your cleanup critters (e.g. hermits), they will make very short work of any hair algae on your rocks. I personally think of diatoms as snail-and-pod food (good stuff).

(1) Any table you try to post gets screwed up, so I have a bit of a hard time lining up your numbers,
(2) Did you drop a decimal point on your nitrates?

Cheers!

Yes, I did accidentally insert a decimal in the Nitrates. They were 10 - 25 two nights ago and I did a 20% water change to keep the ammonia down.

I am running my lights 10 hours a day now, should I reduce it? I posted the same question in the newbie forum a few days ago, but everyone said run them the normal 12 hours. I decided 10 was more reasonable.

Here are my numbers again:

Time 12/30/2003
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 8.2
Temp 80
SG 1.025

Time 1/1/2004
Ammonia 0.1
Nitrites 0.1
Nitrates 5
PH 8
Temp 80
SG 1.025

Time 1/2/2004
Ammonia .25 -1
Nitrites .1 - .25
Nitrates 10
PH 8.1
Temp 81
SG 1.025

Time 1/3/2004
Ammonia 0.8
Nitrites 0.1
Nitrates 10 - 25
PH 8.2
Temp 81
SG 1.025

Time 1/4/2004
Ammonia 0.1
Nitrites 0.25
Nitrates
PH
Temp 80
SG 1.025

I assume you're getting the package? If so, I'd keep the lights to 4-6 hrs until you get part II, then, slowly transition (by an additional hour a day) until 10-12. Mostly to keep the algae down until you get part II, when you get your cleanup critters. You'll still have a bloom, but it will die away, as your cleanup critters will be wandering around all over, looking to munch on algae.

Thanks for the input. Yes I am getting the package. I have an encrusting gorgonian that is geat. Does it need more light than that or will it be okay?

BTW, I it was a hitchhiker.

Thanks for your help.

Your life will be fine for the short period of time that you're doing the reduced photoperiod.

Don't hesitate to call Richard or Mary either if you have questions; they're very good.

Where are your pictures????

less light

less light

hdtran said:
I assume you're getting the package? If so, I'd keep the lights to 4-6 hrs until you get part II, then, slowly transition (by an additional hour a day) until 10-12. Mostly to keep the algae down until you get part II, when you get your cleanup critters. You'll still have a bloom, but it will die away, as your cleanup critters will be wandering around all over, looking to munch on algae.

Correct 4-5 hours!

Thanks, I will go reprogram the timers right now.

BTW, Richard this stuff rocks. Here is the list of hitchhikers so far:

Halimeda or Udotea sp
Coraline
Sargassum sp
Mysid Shrimp
Christmas Tree Worm
Cerith Snails
Bristle worms
Encrusting Gorgonian
Blue Legged Hermits
Gorilla Crab (in fuge)
Feather Dusters
Unidentified pods

Thanks for the great stuff!

Here is a fuzzy pic of the Chrstmas Tree Worm. Man is he awesome.

Oh, and I have a cool by valve (I think) that is living in a crevice in the rocks. He comes out at night at sticks out some huge lips.

We jokingly call him my wifes boyfriend as she is fasinated by him and always looking for him.

Back