Algae issue - and I feel like I've tried everything

...and a picture of the tank after taking the rock out, scrubbing it and H202 dipping it.

I'm curious what color the algae is when you get it out of your nice lights and into normal lighting. my algae actually looked pretty similar to yours but when I pulled it out into daylight it was green. I scrubbed with a toothbrush in a bowl of Revive and that helped short term. my LFS guys wanted me to black out the lighting and target PH so I grabbed some seachem media to stick in my filter for lowering the PH. I did not block out the lighting, but I changed the lighting schedule to a bit shorter, and treated with the Flux RX as mentioned already with amazing success.

after a fight with cyano a while back I grabbed this stuff:

and have had great luck with it as well. I had a small algae bloom in our seahorse tank this past week, all brown it did not look like cyano to me, but I treated with the slime out and it immediately started to show results with no negative effects on the seahorses or gsp in there....

With Nitrates and Phosphates so low I think they are all consumed within the algae. If the algae is removed then I bet your nutrients will rise. I see where you have a fuge. Is it still running? I say keep the fuge and blast it with light for a couple of months. Manually remove what you can from the DT and let the algae migrate to the fuge. Eventually heavier algae should grow and accumulate in the fuge instead of the DT.

Also could try a turf scrubber.

Last edited:
Back