Dibs

dwd5813

This is one of the greatest things i have discovered in my year or so of researching for my first reef tank, which i will begin later this year. I applaud you.

me too! :D

Hey Brian, can I use my DIBS Breeder Avatar on RC? I have had zillions of views on my tank build thread so that could be some good exposure.

great article. Any idea where one can buy those Fiji snails at the wholesale leve? I maintain 60+ reef tanks from 40-400 gallons and this would be a project that I would love to be part of if I could get some stock to get going with.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9207986#post9207986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wakesetter
great article. Any idea where one can buy those Fiji snails at the wholesale leve? I maintain 60+ reef tanks from 40-400 gallons and this would be a project that I would love to be part of if I could get some stock to get going with.

Have you registered over at DIBS yet?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9206764#post9206764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
me too! :D

Hey Brian, can I use my DIBS Breeder Avatar on RC? I have had zillions of views on my tank build thread so that could be some good exposure.

I have not spoken about Project DIBS with any moderators of RC, only with Skipper from Reefkeeping Magazine. I think we would need to get their blessing before we could use Breeder Avatars, it could be a little tricky. I will check with Skipper and get back to you.

wakesetter, either PM me here or on DIBS.

Brian

How can I help? I have been in this hobby for only 5 years and don't know too much about breeding but I am more than willing to learn. I have always had a dream of cultivating and breeding fish and corals to help reduce wild caught animals but never knew how to proceed. (or had the money) I understand the urgency of this program because I live on the coast of Louisiana and my neighbors have an oyster business and have seen a dramatic drop in production from other fishermen over-fishing. This May, a gentleman is coming to our area to help start and build a government funded facility to teach the fishermen here to breed oysters and stop reaping our natural resources. I was invited to be part of the program and I eagerly accepted. Anyway, I would really like to become part of this program as well. Just let me know what I need to do.

Katherine

Katherine,

Thanks for your interest, I like your enthusiasm! Cultivating and breeding of fish, corals and other invertebrates is where I think the hobby needs to go and we like finding like minded people.

Not too much is known in the hobby about breeding, but we are already learning together as a community.

What you need to do is go to www.projectdibs.com and sign up as a registered user. Then send me a PM there, same username as here and we'll start talking!

Brian

PS. jnarowe...I'm still waiting to hear back from Skip about the avatars.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9250146#post9250146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wakesetter
so any idea where I can get the fiji snails?

To ask a dumb question :), which fiji snails?

Brian

I think he meant the Turbo Fiji Snails.

Where can you get it? Look at there site and you see if they have distributors or retailer. If not? Ask then.

Brian, that is a great program, I found aquaculturing livestock help a better part of the sea and around the ocean. I don't really like wild caught stock, but sometimes, things are hard to find in LFS because they don't carry my breeding or anyother aqauculture live stock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9330736#post9330736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
I think he meant the Turbo Fiji Snails.

Where can you get it? Look at there site and you see if they have distributors or retailer. If not? Ask then.

Brian, that is a great program, I found aquaculturing livestock help a better part of the sea and around the ocean. I don't really like wild caught stock, but sometimes, things are hard to find in LFS because they don't carry my breeding or anyother aqauculture live stock.

Well, if wakesetter was interested in the DIBS Turbo and is interested in being a Breeder for the project then he/she should just go to the Project DIBS website. As far as I know it is the only location where you can get it. There might be other places, I just haven't heard of any.

The problem with finding aquacultured or captive bred livestock in LFS is supply. Only around 15% of the animals traded in the business are aquacultured or captive bred. Most LFS I have visited want to carry more, but they can't get it.

Brian

Brian,

You are right, most of them have a hard time getting aquaculture livestock. Due to high demand, less breeding, maybe, it's tough to get a hold on than the wild, but yea, wild caught isn't good. Though, wild caught livestock can be one of a kind pretty much. Like rare seen corals or fish these day, everyone wants to get their hands on. Cool color specimen on liveaquaria.com divers den category have nice color morph fish. It's awsome, and I don't think aquaculture can offer these kind of livestock. Maybe someday it will offer more... Rare or common livestock, I wish my LFS carries them.

This thread is a couple of weeks old since the last post, but where can I purchase DIBs snails? Is there a list of vendors somewhere?

TIA

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9582888#post9582888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joekr
This thread is a couple of weeks old since the last post, but where can I purchase DIBs snails? Is there a list of vendors somewhere?

TIA

Joe, go to Project DIBS and chat with Brian.

Back