Disposing of GFO

I live in an environmentally sensitive location and my septic effluent and system are regularly monitored by the county EPA to make sure I'm not polluting the protected waterway next to my house. (The small amount of saltwater from weekly water changes doesn't seem to bother them - I checked before restarting the tank after moving here - the size of the tank was dictated by the permitted size of the weekly water change, but I also have to be careful about the types of detergents and soaps that we use.) Any idea what they'd think of dumping sodium hydroxide down the drain, as recommended in the article, or what effect it would have on the fauna in my septic system?

The same rules that would apply with your septic system for using off the shelf draino or red devil to treat clogged pipes. You can ask the appropriate party to confirm usage that way and they will better understand your question. :beer:

I believe I have seen smaller quantities of sodium hydroxide on eBay for sale for the purpose of soap making . This is what I purchased to regen my GFO and it worked just fine .

Last edited:
I believe I have seen smaller quantities of sodium hydroxide on eBay for sale for the purpose of soap making . This is what I purchased to regen my GFO and it worked just fine .

What is the shipping cost like? Hazardous materials usually aren't cheep to ship.

You can get lab quality off grainger.com . I have seen uo to 50% (weight:weight).

Back