DIY LED build

greganyan

I am in the process of converting my 180 gallon tank from Africans to a reef tank. Well, this is more costly than I thought it was going to be. So I am looking for some ways to save money but still have top quality stuff.
So I am planning on drilling my own overflows holes and building a sump/refug out of a 55 gallon tank (I already own). One of the highest dollar things is the lighting however.
I am planning on doing a DIY LED light build from RapidLED. Has anyone around Memphis done this?

I have but I am not around the Memphis area. The hardest part for me was trying to find a way to mount the heat sink because the fixture had to be under 5 inches. But definitely get solder-less, less headache easy assembly.

Im not in memphis but i did it too. I soldered. Soldering is easy just come up with a plan and spread them out well. The hardest thing for me was mounting the fixture and dimmable ballasts together and not havin a bunch of crazy power wires And its like supposed to be hung. I didnt want to drill in my roof. That was the other issue

Last edited:
i am in memphis and built my rapid fixtures myself. definitely get solderless and dimmable.

Is there any way I can talk you into showing me what works best. I am about to order the 48 light solderless kit 24 cool white and 24 royal blue. I was going to order the 4.85 inch heat sink from heatsinkusa 71 inches long and just start putting it together but I am hesitant to only do something that I have ONLY seen on youtube.

reef tank you said right?....that's half the LEDs you will need on a 180...

I was going to build it and see but you are probably right. I mostly want soft corals and LPS. However, I still want the options to do anything I want.
Would you try to mix any other lights in there like red/green/blue/uv or should I just do Royal and Cool White?

look through my thread here. youl get some good info. i built one and had great results. thinking about selling my unit though... ;)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2251902&highlight=rapid+diyer+s

Thank you. I just read this thread. It was helpful but I now am confused as to what I should get. I wish there were pictures of the tanks and then they listed what was being used. I dont know weather to go with Cool whites and throw in a few reds or to just go with some Neutral whites and no reds.
I am planning on getting a 6ft long heat sink to go all the way across the aquarium today. I have a canopy so my lights will be about 8" above the water so I dont plan on using optics either (but the kit comes with them).
So if it were you, and you were ordering the 48 LED kit to put on a 6ft heat sink, what LEDs would you get? I dont know if I would like it as blue as you do (3:1) but I dont really have anything to judge by.

Thinking about selling because I'm the type personality who wants the best of the best. I love my rapid and for the price they work great. I be gotten great growth on them from softies to sps. I'm (probably) selling because I upgraded to a 120 and wanted radions for their ease of programmability. Such as modifying the color you want at specific times of day and their features. Etc.
I don't like a very blue (20k) tank either. I prefer the 12-14k look. Which is more natural but still gives your coral good color.

First off. Avoid reds. They are not worth it. They overpower your spectrum to the nth degree and make everything in your tank look like pepto bismol. Even 1 red is pointless seeing as it's only concentrated in one spot. (Reds create a bad color banding issue as well) ie they don't blend with the rest of your spectrum. Ditch the plan to add reds.

You're much better off buying neutral whites. They provide the dash of red/orange that most people want, without the hassle of a solid red.

Regarding your white ratio I would do half cool and half neutral. That's what I use and I'm very happy with it. It looks natural without the synthetic look of 100% cool whites.

Regarding colors I would make a mix of royal blue, blue, and maybe two or 3 cyan. The cyan will add a mix of green, without the same issue of using a solid red, but in this case solid green.

Word on the street is uv is great, but you need a significant number of UVs to make any impact. Uv is used strictly to help growth. The human eye cannot see uv wavelengths, thus you won't see any difference in color in your tank. It just looks like faded deep purple. If you cut anything (for monetary sake) cut uv out. I had some and got rid of them just cause I realized I didn't really need them. I may add them back just cause I have them sitting around.

Kit: buy solder less and dimmable. These are absolutes. Don't skimp. Dimmable will prevent you from frying corals and allow a nice sunrise sunset. Plus adjust the color better. More or less blue to white.
Advantages of solder less far outweigh the cons(price) with solder less, if you don't like the color you can adjust which leds you use. Plug and play to install those. Whereas your stuck with soldered LEDs the other way.

Pros of rapidled: DIY price is nice
Customize to your specific tank, good price for quality lights that work well and grow grow grow.
Cons: you have to kind of blind pick your color spectrum. Then once you get your colors hope they look good based off what you can do with dimming the channels. This is disadvantageous when you end up with a spectrum way off from what you'd like. Because you have to add more LEDs or take some away.

I can give you some more input later if you have additional questions.

God.. Lots of typos. I'm not ghetto so don't assume that from my post. Working from a phone at the moment. Haha

Last thing for now, if you plan a DIY you will need to plan on using a controller for it to automate your sunrise and sunset, otherwise you will have to install potientiators to manually adjust your dimming.

I use an apex for my tank. I have the vdm module required to connect it to my lights. If I sold the light I would include the module but not the whole apex.

Thinking about selling because I'm the type personality who wants the best of the best. I love my rapid and for the price they work great. I be gotten great growth on them from softies to sps. I'm (probably) selling because I upgraded to a 120 and wanted radions for their ease of programmability. Such as modifying the color you want at specific times of day and their features. Etc.
I don't like a very blue (20k) tank either. I prefer the 12-14k look. Which is more natural but still gives your coral good color.

First off. Avoid reds. They are not worth it. They overpower your spectrum to the nth degree and make everything in your tank look like pepto bismol. Even 1 red is pointless seeing as it's only concentrated in one spot. (Reds create a bad color banding issue as well) ie they don't blend with the rest of your spectrum. Ditch the plan to add reds.

You're much better off buying neutral whites. They provide the dash of red/orange that most people want, without the hassle of a solid red.

Regarding your white ratio I would do half cool and half neutral. That's what I use and I'm very happy with it. It looks natural without the synthetic look of 100% cool whites.

Regarding colors I would make a mix of royal blue, blue, and maybe two or 3 cyan. The cyan will add a mix of green, without the same issue of using a solid red, but in this case solid green.

Word on the street is uv is great, but you need a significant number of UVs to make any impact. Uv is used strictly to help growth. The human eye cannot see uv wavelengths, thus you won't see any difference in color in your tank. It just looks like faded deep purple. If you cut anything (for monetary sake) cut uv out. I had some and got rid of them just cause I realized I didn't really need them. I may add them back just cause I have them sitting around.

Kit: buy solder less and dimmable. These are absolutes. Don't skimp. Dimmable will prevent you from frying corals and allow a nice sunrise sunset. Plus adjust the color better. More or less blue to white.
Advantages of solder less far outweigh the cons(price) with solder less, if you don't like the color you can adjust which leds you use. Plug and play to install those. Whereas your stuck with soldered LEDs the other way.

Pros of rapidled: DIY price is nice
Customize to your specific tank, good price for quality lights that work well and grow grow grow.
Cons: you have to kind of blind pick your color spectrum. Then once you get your colors hope they look good based off what you can do with dimming the channels. This is disadvantageous when you end up with a spectrum way off from what you'd like. Because you have to add more LEDs or take some away.

I can give you some more input later if you have additional questions.

This is excellent information and is very helpful.

Back