DIY LED Lighting Repair Help!

Taladina

I inherited a kit light from my sister that was not working because she said it got surged at her old apartment. It was built on a 6" makersled heatsink; it has one Bridgelux white LED in the middle, and four smaller blue ones around it. After some research, I think the four blues are philips luxeon M's. The LED's were run through two channels - two Meanwell 1000 mA LDD drivers, powered by a 48V power supply. No dimmers or switches - just "on" when plugged in. The fan was on its own separate power supply and plug.
I replaced the two drivers, and in so doing, upgraded to the makersled dimmer switch kit, which I mounted to the side of the heatsink. Rewired the whole thing, and routed the fan through the dimmer switch also as the dimmer kit was designed to work that way.
Had some issues in the blue channel - learned that I had to ramp up the power supply to 50V to run the four luxeon's, and it worked good at home once I did that. At home, the dimmer will go from zero to full power on both channels and run for a while, no problems.

I took the power supply to the office where my tank is - the blue channel didn't work, only flickered dimly. The white channel works fine. Thought something broke in transit, so I took it home and tested it. Worked fine at home. Took it back to work, armed with a plug tester and my multimeter. Still flickers there, but not at home! Nothing is loose or broken.

The plug checked out fine with the plug tester, and the power supply is still delivering ~50V DC at work.

Does anybody have any tips as to why it's working at home but not at the office?

p.s. I'm not an expert with electronics, but I tinker a bit and get help when I need to. None of my regular sources know what might be causing this, and I'm frustrated.

Try swapping out the power supply..

4 Luxeon-M's should "at least" fire up at 44V (47 net considering the LDD)...
no need for 50 re: of the LDD mA....but should obtain 1000mA w 45.6 + 3V = 48.6..

As to home vs work.. ????? I just assume wonky power supplies do strange things..

also, since you have 2, switch drivers.. see what happens..

Back