DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pucks will stay cool as long as you aren't overloading them. I blew one up with 36 volts. Smells bad... The fans on any heatsink should be blowing towards the heatsink. This allows for air to flow through the fins.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14949805#post14949805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stugray
dantimdad,

I would just use the same driver that I used on my night lights.

It is the OS Driver WH-L241-700 ( http://www.osdriver.com/PDF/OSL241-700 L242.700.pdf )
They output constant current @ 700mA up to 8 series 3W LEDs.
They operate from AC input, no need for separate PS.

I got mine from http://www.etgtech.com

They dont show the product on their website, but they will give pricing if you email them.

Stu

I'll be building a fixture just like dantimdad's
You are saying that I won't need to shell out for the driver and power supply if I get this product?

Also, do all you with fixtures think that 4 LED's would be good for a 12x10x10D Nano? About 5 gallons.

Dantimdad how is your fixture coming along? I figure since you already ording stuff I might just sit back and see how things go for you.:p

"You are saying that I won't need to shell out for the driver and power supply if I get this product?"

That is correct. contact: Fabrice Dufour [fabrice@osdriver.com] for the driver.
They are ~$35 for 1-9 units.

"Also, do all you with fixtures think that 4 LED's would be good for a 12x10x10D Nano? About 5 gallons."

I would go with 3 Blues & 5 whites for a total of 24 watts.
It should be comparable to over 50 watts of 14K MH.

Stu

Okie dokie okie.

You sure about 3 blues and 5 whites over a 5 gallon?

Soundwave has got 48 LED's over 75 Gallons so thats .64 LED units per Gallon and he is growing SPS. A direct conversion gives my only 3.2 LEDs for my whole tank and I don't plan on SPS because the water volume is so low.

You suggest I use over two times the power for a 10" deep tank of softies and LPS?
You might be thinking on too large of a scale.

And what about the color mixing with 3/5 blue white ratio?

Great thread. almost to much information. I am surprised no one has asked this before, but why do you need the buckpucks? I have run a few LEDs straight from wall wart/power supplies with out any problems.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14985887#post14985887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tron87
Okie dokie okie.

Soundwave has got 48 LED's over 75 Gallons so thats .64 LED units per Gallon and he is growing SPS. A direct conversion gives my only 3.2 LEDs for my whole tank and I don't plan on SPS because the water volume is so low.

You suggest I use over two times the power for a 10" deep tank of softies and LPS?

I dont think 4 LEDs will give you the needed coverage or even color over a tank with that foot print. Just like those watts/gallon ratios are different for nanos vs big reefs its not going to be the same for the LEDs. If you dont already, check out that site that specialized in nano reefs, there are alot of people doing builds there. I remember reading one where a guy used only 3-5 LEDs but the tank was only like 6Lx6wx9t or something. I have almost completed my build for my pico, (there is a thread on that nano reef web site titled LED Dual Retro - BioCube29 & Custom 3.5g AIO Acrylic ) with 12 LEDs, next is my 24 LED array for my bio cube 29.
I tried to post a photo here but I guess you can not link to galleries on other reef sites nor can you post links to other reef sites? Seems weird that referencing related info would be blocked as it adds to the conversation in this community. Anyway, I will have it finished and up for good this week with some additional info and good photos on that thread.

Jerome

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14985887#post14985887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tron87
Okie dokie okie.

I dont think 4 LEDs will give you the needed coverage or even color over a tank with that foot print. Just like those watts/gallon ratios are different for nanos vs big reefs its not going to be the same for the LEDs.
If you dont already, check out that site that specializes in nano reefs, there are alot of people doing builds there. I remember reading one where a guy used 3-5 LEDs but the tank was only 6Lx6wx9t or close to it. I have almost completed the build for my pico, (there is a thread on that nano reef web site titled LED Dual Retro - BioCube29 & Custom 3.5g AIO Acrylic ) with 12 LEDs, next is my 24 LED array for my bio cube 29.
I tried to post a photo here but I guess you can not link to galleries on other reef sites nor can you post links to other reef sites? Seems weird that referencing related info would be blocked as it adds to the conversation in this community.
Anyway, I will have it finished and set-up for good this week and post some additional info and good photos on that thread.

Jerome

You can post a link to another thread of this topic. That's not a problem. However, if you posted "Hey, I only post on xyz.com's message board, so come over here if you want to talk to me..."

That would be a problem.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14991432#post14991432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
You can post a link to another thread of this topic. That's not a problem. However, if you posted "Hey, I only post on xyz.com's message board, so come over here if you want to talk to me..."

That would be a problem.

Okay, I will try again!

Like a lot of people I was inspired by soundwaves initial post and decided to put together a build for my 3.5 gallon pico(12 LED with buckpucks) and then also one for a bio cube 29 (24 LED with buck pucks)(I have a bc14 now but will set up and transfer to the 29 when I get the light built.

Edit. Linking to other forums is not permitted, and deliberately fooling the word filter to get your link out is not a good idea. If it is on the filter it is not allowed.

Jerome

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - that particular site is on "the list" here on RC for whatever reason.

I checked out your project, and it looks nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
It should be great once I get it set up this week. I did the small one first to get my feet wet hopefully by month end I can get the next one built and in the 29gallon, I need the space and I cant wait for my corals to color up under the new lights.

Your list of parts and prices is a bit staggering and got kind of confusing. Mind making an estimate of how much you spent on the smaller fixture?

The shopping list can be a little overwhelming at first but if you take it piece by piece its not too bad. I also listed just about everything I used, some stuff you may have or be able to find easily locally if you live in a city. I am in a small city more of a town so its easier/ I would rather get exactly what I want by ordering on line then drive 45 minutes one way to find some stores that have what I need.

Acrylic AIO
Cree XR-E Q5 Cool White PCB Mounted - ETG Tech.com - 6 @ $6.00 ea = $36.00
Cree XR-E Royal Blue PCB Mounted - ETG Tech.com - 6 @ $6.00 ea = $36.00
Wired BuckPuck Drivers 1000mA External Dimming Control w/ Potentiometer- LEDSupply - 2 @ $19.99 ea = $39.98
Heatsink - 'Small size' 5.375x9 inches - HeatsinkUSA - $18
Power Supply 24V @ 6.5A POTRANS POWER SUPPLY - MPJA.com â€"œ $14.95

NEED ALL ABOVE ABOUT $115
and a few below but maybe you have some of it, like termal paste, or extra power cord for the supply

Fans 12V(powered with LED supply) New Egg
35-150-007 FAN COOLINGFAN MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 1@$1.79
35-168-006 CASE FAN IPCQUEEN|IPC-12025 R 1@$3.99=
Artic Thermal Compound NewEgg $6.99

6FT IEC Power Cord UL LISTED - MPJA.com â€"œ 1@ $2.49 = $2.49
4503KN ALCO PKG-70, 1/8" SHAFT RED PLASTIC KNO 2@.75=$1.50
15521BX 8.8in BLACK PLASTIC CABINET 1 @ $7.95

Screws 100 Qty - 18-8 Stainless size 4-40 X 3/8" Amazon.com
Washers 100 Qty Nylon Flat Washer #4 .120" ID x .281" OD x .045" Thick Amazon.com
(both the above are sold by SmallParts but fulfilled by amazon.com so its eligible for Amazon prime or super saver shipping (over $25))

4-40 Drill and tap set from Lowes $4
Electrical Tape - Have it
Soldering Iron - Have it
18 gauge wire to run from buck pucks in case up to LEDs
24 gauge to run between the LEDs
Shipping Charges - $ ?

THEN THE OTHER STUFF NOT IN THE OTHER GROUP MAYBE another $50
It depends on what you have on hand and what you need to buy, but maybe you could do it for $150. Do see my other post for the comprehensive list and links.

Jerome

FWIW I scored some browned out bonsai acro frags last week to test their ability to grow under my LEDs. I placed them in 3 different spots in varying light conditions. Yesterday, I checked progress and they are already turning purple again and the green polyps are starting to emerge. So far, they seem to love the LEDs. I'm beginning to think that the idea of PAR above 400 to grow sps, specifically Acros, is different with LEDs.

I'm goignt o put my scrounging helmet on and set a hard bucget at $100. I bet I could get it done. Do a little dumpster diving here,a little begging there, viola LED fixture before you know it.

Think I'll go with a 6 LED fixture, maybe add one more Cool White for the hell of it and run the PS unit that Stugray mentions above. That cuts out two whole websites and makes just one shipping cost fro ETG Tech. Yipee.

You think a "small size" 5.375x6" heatsink would be enough for 6-7 LED's I'll be mounting at least an 80mm fan if not the 120mm Coolermaster I have.

I think one thing we cant really measure is the chaotic nature of the shimmer created by so many LEDs. You mentioned that the shimmer can be somewhat psychedelic to look at, at first. I definitely agree. With so many small point sources the shimmer can look pretty wild.

I'm able to see shimmer lines with my LEDs with T5s on, which means there must be some really bright little spots wandering about! I dont have a link but I recall some research that indicated that shimmer is beneficial to corals. They seem to respond well to the occasional ultra-bright shimmer line vs. constant high lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back