DIY Luxim Plasma

Hi, I'm new to the community, my name is Larry. I will be setting up a 85g fowlr and down the road adding reef. I was thinking of going with WD150cs but I'm unsure if aprotein skimmer will fit in the sump with a pump. I am considering a mag 9.5 with a check vavle. I was told this woul prevent flooding. Please any Ideas on a skimmer and flood prevention would truly be great.

Effectively dead ... for me.

I have decided to use LED only, like many folks. That, however is another story.

The fixture is still alive and over a friend's tank currently. It's over water finally! He is experimenting with it currently and has PAR measurements and all. I will ask him if he is interested in sharing his findings here or on his own thread in which case I can link it.

The light is still a bit more neutral than my tastes, but he is a big fan of the 6700K Iwasaki look so it works well for him. And the Royal Blue LED's running by themselves as actinic make so many colors pop it's ridiculous, but that is a well known phenomenon.

I do wonder about this as i build Aquarium lights for friends and family. But the price of a 6-700 bulb that lasts only MAX 30k hours is a concern to me. LEDs last MAX 100k (according to whats being advertised). I think that from how it looks, it would take 2 of those Plasma bulbs to cover my 300g tank supplimented with some RB Cree LEDs. I like the plasma because of the variations in light spectrum it produces but it just seems that it would still end up being more cost effective to run LEDs. GRANTED, running a plasma bulb 11hrs a day, that would take you 7.5 years til it "should" burn out. If they came with a 30khr warranty i would be interested. But you could stretch out its lifespan by having LEDs for normal all day lighting and have the plasma kick on for high noon or something for 3hrs a day. But that just makes your lighting that much more expensive, though i'm sure your corals would appreciate it.

Back