DIY Rocks for new aquascape

Nope. The cleaning crew takes care of it for me. The ugly phase can get a little annoying because there is just so much surface area for stuff to grow on, but after that, it’s not a problem

Nope. The cleaning crew takes care of it for me. The ugly phase can get a little annoying because there is just so much surface area for stuff to grow on, but after that, it’s not a problem

I couldn't remember. Do you butt your wall up against the glass or do you leave a gap?

Great question…the first one I did was flush with the glass. The problem is that it won’t be perfect, and you’ll likely have a small gap between the glass and egg crate scaffolding…just small enough for a curious tang/angel (tall skinny fish) to fit in there, and not be able to back out. I’ve lost a few fish like this over the years. Now, I use filter foam/mesh to stuff in the gaps.

My opinion is once coals grow in you do not see the rock. People spend to much time working about how their rocks look and not how will the corals sit and grow on them.

That said my rock does not just provide a place to put coral it is part of the denitrification cycle.

Great question…the first one I did was flush with the glass. The problem is that it won’t be perfect, and you’ll likely have a small gap between the glass and egg crate scaffolding…just small enough for a curious tang/angel (tall skinny fish) to fit in there, and not be able to back out. I’ve lost a few fish like this over the years. Now, I use filter foam/mesh to stuff in the gaps.

Do you silicone the back to the glass or just the tops and bottoms? I wonder if putting silicone around the whole back would help the gaps, etc. I have heard some are against that, as it can be a pain to remove down the road.

My opinion is once coals grow in you do not see the rock. People spend to much time working about how their rocks look and not how will the corals sit and grow on them.

That said my rock does not just provide a place to put coral it is part of the denitrification cycle.

100% agree. My focus is on the corals and their growth. I wanted a structure that had more of a flat layout to it for the corals to put a good base down. However, I do know a good rock layout can really make the tank, especially when the corals grow in.

Do you silicone the back to the glass or just the tops and bottoms? I wonder if putting silicone around the whole back would help the gaps, etc. I have heard some are against that, as it can be a pain to remove down the road.
I’ve never bothered with fixing the structure to the glass.

Back