Diy sump

Vorog

I picked up a 20 gallon long at petco. I am going to make an attempt at a diy sump. I'd like to use white or black baffles. Not sure if Home Depot sells them or maybe Michaels. But if any one knows where I can pick up a sheet of plexi or acrylic in black or white please let me know.

Also I have a eshopps psk75h (hob skimmer) I'd like to trade for a in sump skimmer, of similar size. I'd be willing to sell the skimmer too if interested. $100 firm comes with 2 bodies and 3 collection cups.

On another thread a couple guys mentioned either FARCO Plastics 11701 US Hwy 19 Clearwater 33764 (727) 572-7722. Or another place called GE polymershapes on 49th st.

I sent an email yesterday to the guys at Farco asking about scraps and they said to come on in and see what they have or if I know the exact dimensions of what I need they can cut it before hand. I'm not sure if they have white or black acrylic but you can email them @......sales@farcoplastics.com

On another thread a couple guys mentioned either FARCO Plastics 11701 US Hwy 19 Clearwater 33764 (727) 572-7722. Or another place called GE polymershapes on 49th st.

I sent an email yesterday to the guys at Farco asking about scraps and they said to come on in and see what they have or if I know the exact dimensions of what I need they can cut it before hand. I'm not sure if they have white or black acrylic but you can email them @......sales@farcoplastics.com

Thank you for the info! I'll send them an email!

Silicone does not bond to acrylic. You "may" get away with it for a little while, but eventually the baffles will fail, unless you put a god awful amount of silicone to hold it in place.

There's a right way and wrong way to do this. You're much better off paying $10 to a local glass company and have them cut some baffles for you. Tape off around where your going to silicone the seam. Apply the silicone and smooth with a wet finger then immediately remove the tape. Let it dry for 24 hours.

How do you think they attach acrylic overflow boxes onto glass tanks? If you use a strong silicone like RTV 103/108 or Dow Corning 999-A / 795 it should be fine. I'd never recommend bonding glass to acrylic for a tank but things like baffles and overflow should be no issue. Although I do agree using glass is a must better option.

How do you think they attach acrylic overflow boxes onto glass tanks? If you use a strong silicone like RTV 103/108 or Dow Corning 999-A / 795 it should be fine. I'd never recommend bonding glass to acrylic for a tank but things like baffles and overflow should be no issue. Although I do agree using glass is a must better option.

Silicone doesn't bond to acrylic. Like I said, you may get away with it, but a search on here will yield results from acrylic baffles failing and overflow boxes coming off.

No quality builder would do it that way. Find me one quality well known builder who mixes acrylic and glass with silicone and I'll give you a frag. Lol.

Well, I got a tank FAOIS drilled holes into and attached an acrylic overflow box to a glass tank with silicone.

I just did this with a 20l , I had all my 1/4" glass cut at city glass and mirror here in st.Pete for $40 . don't do it with plexi its not worth the possible failure . I've heard all the glass to plexi debates about how overflows don't hold water pressure and baffles don't hold pressure ,IMO for a $20 difference in price do it with glass !

The whole reason I didn't want to do glass, is for light spillage from the fudge on the skimmer. But I don't mind using glass as baffles if I have to. Just means I'd have to clean my skimmer more.

The whole reason I didn't want to do glass, is for light spillage from the fudge on the skimmer. But I don't mind using glass as baffles if I have to. Just means I'd have to clean my skimmer more.

I'd try to refrain from spilling fudge on your skimmer. It has enough sludge to deal with. :lmao:

I've seen people just put up a simple divider above the water line and they reported it worked great for keeping light out. I don't think light will penetrate very well through multiple reflective glass baffles. Especially once they are covered in coralline algae.

I'm not a tank builder. This is just what I've read and from the discussions I've had from tank builders. What would really suck is if you did it and it failed and now you have a ridiculous project on your hands.

So I am pretty pleased at the way my sump turned out. I have to share the out come. Picked up a new skimmer too. Pretty excited!

093fbb832ff6df507829441eb14144a9.jpg

Looks great! I would ditch the Mag drive unless you don't care about noise. I have a DC 6000 and it is much quieter. How is the filter sock held in place?

Water tested my sump, and NO LEAKS!!!! I am so relieved...I was hoping my silicone job would hold up. I tested the main baffle (where the skimmer and sock are going to be).. Then tested the refugium area. And then the return pump area. All go for take off! Just waiting on my overflow box and I'll post it running!

Side note. I know its not the end of the world if I did have a small leak, but not having one is so much better. Not bad for my first sump! :bounce1:

Looks great! I would ditch the Mag drive unless you don't care about noise. I have a DC 6000 and it is much quieter. How is the filter sock held in place?

Thanks! The mag drive is gone. lol I picked up a lifeguard quiet 3000 froma fellow TBRC member, and it runs very nice! I also picked up a sock holder from him!

Sock holder is mounted! Should workout, might have to buy socks with plastic rings for better fit.

316efe9885052c0d38af804530a778de.jpg

Diy sump

Very nice, I need to do this soon myself as I just don't like the way my pre made sump is configured.

I had an option to get a pre made sump. But it didn't have a refugium. And since I already have a HOB one that has tons of pods and life. It didn't make sense to get rid of it. I was a little nervous in cutting the glass and the spacing. But it worked out well. I used a 1" x 1" wooden steak cut to size to space the bubble trap, and some HD claps to hold in place while mocking up and drying. After making this one for my nano. I might just make one later down the road when I setup a 120. I like the Trigger systems sump, but would want it a bit wider.

Here's a pic of the bubble trap, the bottom cut was not pretty but a little sand paper worked well to help smooth it out. Hope this helps.
e5fce61733896b1a0d6c9ba5949e0c64.jpg

Back