DIY VHO canopy with Alum. Flashing reflector. Need advice.

reverendmaynard

Hey guys,

I'm currently constructing a canopy for my 6ft 125 gal tank to house my VHO lighting. I have 2 Ice Cap 660s, end caps, and 4 160w 6ft bulbs (2*7100k actinic blue,2*6000k 50/50s). I'm construcing a reflector out of aluminum flashing, using a 14" x 10' roll from lowes. The bed where the bulbs are, about 9" across is flat, with both sides (about 2.5" each) bent down at an angle and the ends bent straight down. It will be mounted to a piece of 1/4" plywood. I also purchased some ridge vents to vent the bulbs, but am unsure whether or not to use them. They are aluminum, like the flashing, but have raised vent slots, with a wire mesh screen behind them. Each is about 7" x 15" and there are 2 of them. I plan on putting them near each end of the bulbs. They will open up into the canopy, with about 12" of clearence above them and an open back. I've already cut the holes in the plywood, which could conceivably add some cooling just by allowing air to contact the back of the reflector in those spots, even if I don't add the vents.

So, is it worth the effort to vent the heat, or would I be better off with an unbroken reflector surface instead?

TIA,
Maynard.

use unbroken reflector and vent the canopy from the sides with fans or directly from the rear ,where it is already open.
you could just mount the fans there.

also when hanging the reflector, use spacers hang it 1/2 inch bellow the top of the canopy this will allow the air to circulate
cooling the canopy better.
it also wont heat up the wood as much.

hope this helps

I forgot to add...

I'm also looking for a good way to polish the aluminum up to get the best reflecting capacity. Any ideas on tools/products that would work well?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6565514#post6565514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maxius
use unbroken reflector and vent the canopy from the sides with fans or directly from the rear where it is already open
you could just mount the fans there

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go that way. Maybe use these vents in the top of the canopy instead.

well... you could use 220 grid then 400 then 800 and finaly 1200
grid sand paper to get it smooth.
final polishing i would do with rubing compound for chrome by hand

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6565567#post6565567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maxius
well... you could use 220 grid then 400 then 800 and finaly 1200
grid sand paper to get it smooth.
final polishing i would do with rubing compound for chrome by hand

It's pretty smooth already. I was pretty cautious about scratching it up while fabricating. I do have some steel wool, not sure the grit, probably 800 or so. Maybe give it a good rubbing with that, then the chrome polish?

Back