Do I feed my Trumpet Coral?

chiefrokka

I just found out what this coral was... People say it's a trumpet coral.
Do I need to feed this directly with a baster at all? if so, what do I feed and how often? I've moved this to mid section of tank after this pic was taken.

Coral_01.JPG

YES!

YES!

Hey Now!

These corals LOVE to eat and it gives them energy to be super healthy and grow faster! I like to feed my candy canes at night when they extend their feeders. Feed them chunky meaty food. Using a turkey baster is the easiest. I feed them brine shrimp and zooplankton most often enriched with selcon.
It's also very fun to watch them feed. They eagerly eat the food you baste over them.

take care,
Jared

Jared summed it up nicely. FWIW i never feed my candy cane and it still grows very quickly. I frag it in half about every 2 months, and we are talking a good 15-20 heads each time. A very hardy coral that grows well and is easy to care for. Great find!

great to know... i'll try feeding it some brine shrimp tonight just to see what happens if anything. my chemicals suck right now so I gotta do everything I can to help their growth until my system stabalizes and stops a cycle or whatever it's doing.

p.s. is candy cane and trumpet coral the same thing? are certain colors of these called trumpet and another color called candy cane?

No they are the same thing, just different common names.

Here is mine eating, its pretty cool to watch.

P1300154.jpg

nice pic. i usually feed my 6 fish 1 cube of frozen food with a few pelletts at night.... now that i have corals i'm not sure how much more i should be feeding? some of the cubes don't break up into tiny pieces as easy and there's not that much to go around.

should I be using 2 cubes from now on? and use baster to spray directly onto some of the corals like the trumpet? i dont want to overfeed though cuz my nitrates are very high at the moment

Do you guys feed your candy canes daily? I've only been feeding mine a couple times a week, but he has his tentacles out every night, so I guess he must still be hungry. I've finally learned to distract my cleaner shrimp first, though, so he doesn't steal the food from the coral.

I don't really ever feed my candy cane specifically. It usually catches the food when i feed the fish. I will drop a little cyclopeeze in the tank first and wait a couple minutes. As soon as the corals get the taste of that, all the feeders come out. I then add the flakes or mysis or whatever i happen to be feeding that day. The candy cane always get some.

I never feed my candycane directly either, just let it eat when I feed the system. Like impur, I frag mine about every 2 months with a new 10-15 heads. It may actually take over the world. Good Einstein quote impur!

i fed my candy cane tonight for first time... fed it brine shrimp with a baster... they grabbed onto them and ate em right up. a few heads got some pretty big chunks and have to work to get those down their tiny mouth's. lol

pretty cool to watch a coral eat them... so weird that they are living organism that react like that. i'll prob. feed mine twice a week directly just cuz it's fun and i want to make sure their getting enough

Impur, are you getting the feeders to come out during the day when you add the cyclop-eeze? I've only seen mine have feeders out during the day once, so that's why I've been direct feeding at night. I finally got sold on Cyclop-eeze, and it should be arriving in the mail today, so I'll have to try that out to entice him.

Yes, the feeders come out about a minute or 2 after the cyclopeeze hits the water. I have both frozen and freeze dried cyclopeeze and both get this reaction.

Back