Do I need to prune mangroves??

No you don't need to. they will drop their leaves when they want. i believe you can do more harm to them if you prune them, but that's just a rumor i heard. i dont prune mine. just keep the dead leaves out of your tank as they decompose quickly.

I agree that you don't need to prune (except to the extent they grow too high for your taste in which case topping them off will allow them to branch out - ) - I do it all the time - sometimes the mangroves don't appear to take to ones changes but they come back - they are tough

xcreonx said:
No you don't need to. they will drop their leaves when they want. i believe you can do more harm to them if you prune them, but that's just a rumor i heard. i dont prune mine. just keep the dead leaves out of your tank as they decompose quickly.

Mangroves recover from bad storm damage, so yeah, you can prune them. They are essentially trees in the wild, some get up to 40' over time.

Hey cool, I was wondering about the same thing about my mangroves. I have four of them in my refugium and growing pretty fast.

Back