Do longspined Black Urchins Eat Coral?

When my long spine urchin was small, it was a model citizen. However, as it got larger, it would eat lines out of my chalices... even when it finished feeding on dried seaweed. Off to the LFS it went.

I realize this is a long-dormant thread, but just wanted to add that I've had a long spined urchin for several years, when he was young/small he was fine around my mixed reef, actually didn't knock things over even. He also kept the algae and coraline algae in check.

Now for the past 2 years or so he's full grown and is occasionally but definitely eating my hard coral, mainly some pink acropora. I'm not just assuming, I've seen him munching away on it and lots of tips eaten off. I don't think he targets it, I think he just munches away indiscriminately wherever he finds himself.

I've had him for so long, I'm feeling conflicted (for a couple years now!) whether to keep him and take the hit on my acros vs unload him with my LFS.

I think my long spine black urchin is eating my acans. Something has been nibbling them, at any rate. Yesterday I saw him on top of one ans when I pushed him off, I saw that one of the heads was completely gone. So far, I have no direct proof, though. Only other things I have are a couple melanarus wrasses, a clown, a lawnmower blenny, pj cardinal and longnose hawkfish. Along with the normal assortment of snails and hermits and a serpent star.

Ironically you'll find your fish sometimes trying to hide in their spines. Cardinals especially.

It's strange how fish and inverts that are venomous constantly rub on tankmates and they're unaffected.

Young baggai cardinals spend awhile hiding between the spines of longspine urchins to hide from predators.
I think a lot of venomous critters recognize the difference between a bump and an attack. Otherwise they'd waste their venom on non-threats and have none left for actual dangers.

Reviving a dead thread to report that I just witnessed my black-spine consuming multiple acropora. One which I got from a frag swap literally yesterday.

When my long spine urchin was small, it was a model citizen. However, as it got larger, it would eat lines out of my chalices... even when it finished feeding on dried seaweed. Off to the LFS it went.

same thing with a chalice coral I got recently and my long spine black sea urchin also ate a large chunk of a new mushroom coral.

same thing with a chalice coral I got recently and my long spine black sea urchin also ate a large chunk of a new mushroom coral.

I guess it really depends on the specific species of Long Spined Urchins and/or even individual urchins. I had one in a previous tank that never bothered any corals. I like corals sorry to hear yours ate the Chalice and Mushroom.

Back