Do you know what this macro identification is please?

davi135

Hi,

So I was in my lfs yesterday and they had some macro algae they said had come over unexpected in one of their imports and said I could have it.

So I have brought it home and put it in a seperate container before putting it in my tank as I want to make sure they are safe to put in (not invasive etc).

I have done research and the branch one on the left looks like cystoseira which I found on marineplantedbook.

But I'm not 100% sure and can't find anything that resembles the one on the right. The right one looks really nice when in a tank it isn't clumpy like the picture itnwill extends with the flow.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it, they are waiting to go in.

Attachments

• 20180919_080352-1209x1612.jpg
    20180919_080352-1209x1612.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
Sorry davi135, I have no idea. The one on the right looks like a calcified red macro I've seen before, but I can't remember where.

Compared to the vast amount of coral knowledge available, macro algae info is still pretty limited. Identification is very challenging, given the large number of species, and variation within species, so a lot of these "please ID this algae" posts go unanswered.

I wish I could be more helpful. They're good looking plants. If it were me, I'd give them a go. But without knowing more about your tank, it's hard to advise. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

Back