Do You rinse your Rowaphos?

DSP

Do you rinse your Rowaphos? I noticed in their directions that they say not to rinse it, but I am pretty sure I've read that people do.

I run rowaphos in a fluidized reactor. When I change the media, I let the first 3 gallons drain into a bucket. After that I start draining it into the tank.

Brad

Re: Do You rinse your Rowaphos?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966802#post6966802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DSP
Do you rinse your Rowaphos? I noticed in their directions that they say not to rinse it, but I am pretty sure I've read that people do.

I also noticed that instruction and I was told not to rinse the Rowaphos. So, I don't rinse it before use.

It does actually advise on the leaflet that comes with rowaphos that it can be rinsed if used in a reactor to remove the small particles.

I rinse mine. Too messy. :)

I change my media when I do a water change. I just pump old tank water through the new media (in reactor) until the water is clean. Takes like 10 mins, Maybe.

Thanks. I like the idea of pumping some water through the reactor when I do a water change.

I just used rowa for the first time two days ago. I ran it through a TLF reactor, draining into a waste bucket, until it came out clear. Probably about 1.5 to 2 gallons for ~100mL of rowa. I wouldn't want the dirty iron filled water in my tank.

Happy reefing

Re: Do You rinse your Rowaphos?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966802#post6966802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DSP

jmkins, there are two main ways to run Rowaphos,

A. in a bag, don't rinse and put it in a high flow area

B. in a reactor, in this case is recommended to rinse the media

about rinsing the media, I found that is best to rinse it with the same water you will discard when doing a water change, thus saving water in the process

if you want to learn more about how to use Rowaphos property, from running it, to knowing when to change the media, and what some expert think about american's usage :D

Correct ROWAphos usage per David Saxby's advice.

sam

id follow the specs on the package, and make sure you remove the roaphos after 2 weeks because it can start to leach if you leave it in to long and it can make your tank worse off than when you started.

I juts put a little bit on this into my 24 NC in the bag it came in. I didn't rinse it. I thought that this stuff lasted like 6 months? Am I incorrect and it needs to be replaced after a few weeks? If so it seems cheaper to use Phosban.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7067820#post7067820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spiffyguy
I juts put a little bit on this into my 24 NC in the bag it came in. I didn't rinse it. I thought that this stuff lasted like 6 months? Am I incorrect and it needs to be replaced after a few weeks? If so it seems cheaper to use Phosban.

this is the only way to know when to properly change the media,
If you get a reading, you do NOT change the media yet.
You lower the flow into your reactor by a 1/4 or 1/2.
Wait a few hours and test again. The reading should be 0.
Once your test shows PO4 after this step it is time to replace the
media.

it can last as long as is working (many months) and ROWAphos is considered better than phosban, and both are iron based,

s2svetko, have any data to back your statement, thx

sam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7067779#post7067779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by s2svetko
id follow the specs on the package, and make sure you remove the roaphos after 2 weeks because it can start to leach if you leave it in to long and it can make your tank worse off than when you started.

Where in the Specs does it say 2 weeks?

check out:
http://www.rowausa.com/pdf/whatisrowaphos.pdf
I did use roaphos, I have high phospate levels from my tapwater, and after 2 weeks my levels began to rise quickly. I was never trying to say not to use roaphos, its supposed to be one of the best phosphate removers out there. Just make sure your checking your phospate levels cause when its full, they will start to rise... sorry for my confusion

You might want to double check on that bit of info before posting it. ;)

RowaPhos is not suppose to leach, even if it did It would take a LOT longer than 2 weeks. I typically replace mine after Several months. (4-6)

They will start to rise because the particles are full and you are using TAP water...

My PO4 test kit is a seatest and kinda crappy but I know there is a phophate issue in my tank. Some algea and some slime but it went away when I used Phosban. I figured I would try this stuff next to just try different products. I like the granuals in Rowaphos over Phosban. I don't have a reactor so I just used the bag they provided. I will test it in a weke or so and see if I get anything on the test. it was .2 last time.

Back