Does anyone have any Southdown?

rocknut

Rocky
I really hate to ask this, since I know it has been asked so many times before, but...Does anyone have any southdown sand they would want to sell? If need be, I can always go pick up some playground sand from HD, but I would much prefer the lighter colored southdown. Thanks!
Rocky

Hey Chris,
Glad to hear that the leathers are doing well. I thought I might have seen that toadstool on a picture you posted a while back...

Honestly, I haven't ever been able to totally dial this tank in right. I was getting great color, and they were starting to really grow nice for a while. Then, I had a few malfunctions with the tank that kind of threw everything off course. I found out at the end of last year that the property management company that my wife and I both worked for sold our property, so we both had to find new jobs and find a new place to live, etc. Anyway, as I was running around in a tizzy trying to sort this out, I wasn't keeping as close an eye on the tank as usual, and the calcium reactor feed pump failed and my ALK and CA levels dipped way down, and thru everything out of whack. I didn't lose anything, but everything browned out, and growth basically stopped. They are just starting to color back up now, and I am finally starting to see some growth again.

Just not sure I have ever really gotten the hang of the whole bare bottom thing, honestly. I remember seeing your tank and even with the amount of rock you had (I have used maybe a quarter as much as you) just seeing how clean everything was. I still have a fare amount of detritus sitting on the bottom everyday, even after cooking my rock for 3 months before putting it in the tank. Somehow, even with over 100x flow, I just seem to be moving this junk around in the tank and not getting it over the overflow and into the sump for the skimmer to pull it out. Now, on top of that, even though I haven't ever had it in my sump, or fuge, or anything, I have had one of my rocks just "explode" with calupera growth. This has to prove that somehow I am still getting WAY to many nutrients in the tank still. Anyway, I am going to be moving across town at the end of this month, so I was thinking I might just have to go back to a DSB tank. Somehow I just seemed to have way better luck with that kind of setup. Totally sucks, because I know that the BB setup should work, but I sure can't figure out how...

With that in mind, I don't know how many tanks you still have up and running (I know you are working on that 180), but since my tank will probably be down for a week or two during the move, I have some fish that you could certainly have if you are interested. I have the biggest lawnmower blenny I have ever seen, that is the fish equivalent to a garbage can, an Ocelaris clown, and a six line wrasse. I hate to just dump them off at the fish store and would rather someone was able to give them a good home. If possible, and again, if you have the room, do you have any space to hold a few frags, and a squamosa clam for a little while, while I get the tank back up and running, and get everything steady? Like I said, you can totally keep the fish for your trouble.

Have a good one!
Rocky

Sorry to hear the BB thing hasn't worked for you . I feel it's hit or miss. Anyways glad to hear the frags are alive and on their way to coloring up ..

I can and will hold what ever you need me to . As for the fish I can put them to good use Or I could even put them in the 40g frag tank if I get the 180 before you need them to go......that way you can get them back and it will be easy to catch them .

Back