Does anyone local make large glass tanks ? 96x36x24 Thanks,Jim

Felix of Reef Savvy is local now. He is considered one of the top if not the top tank builders in the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies... although I would never consider a large glass tank, I'm pretty sure that they sold glass tanks a few years ago, when I ordered 200 and 500g acrylic tanks.

Apologies... although I would never consider a large glass tank, I’m pretty sure that they sold glass tanks a few years ago, when I ordered 200 and 500g acrylic tanks.

I have a 96x42x24 acrylic now, only had it 3 years and i have it all scratched up already. Pain in the *** to clean. What are your cons of getting glass ?

Cons: glass is very heavy, 2 of us brought in a 6'x5' 500g acrylic and placed in on the stand... I can maneuver my 500g on its stand, by myself... I can drill my own overflows and returns, should I decide to change the plumbing.
Scratches are forever on glass and coralline can "˜etch' low iron/starfire glass.

Pros: it's a lot cheaper to sand and buff out your old tank than buy a new one. I still have 3 120g tanks that are over 20 years old, and can look like new.
Acrylic is clearer and a better insulator.

Not sure how your tank was scratched, but most of them can be avoided. I use an acrylic sleeve on my magnet cleaner and sand is not a problem. Sanding them out can be done anytime on the outside or inside.

If you want glass, go for it, but unless you're getting a different size tank, I'd try wet sanding the scratches first.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cons: glass is very heavy, 2 of us brought in a 6'x5' 500g acrylic and placed in on the stand... I can maneuver my 500g on its stand, by myself... I can drill my own overflows and returns, should I decide to change the plumbing.
Scratches are forever on glass and coralline can "˜etch' low iron/starfire glass.

Pros: it's a lot cheaper to sand and buff out your old tank than buy a new one. I still have 3 120g tanks that are over 20 years old, and can look like new.
Acrylic is clearer and a better insulator.

Not sure how your tank was scratched, but most of them can be avoided. I use an acrylic sleeve on my magnet cleaner and sand is not a problem. Sanding them out can be done anytime on the outside or inside.

If you want glass, go for it, but unless you're getting a different size tank, I'd try wet sanding the scratches first.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks, what do you use to sand under water ?

Give me a few minutes, I'll try to find a video for you... basically it's wet/dry sandpaper (#900 ?) placed on inside magnet cleaner, then going to finer (higher #) grades of sandpaper till scratch is removed

I just realized that I don't know if scratches are inside or outside of tank!
There are a ton of videos if you search "˜acrylic scratch removal'
For outside I would get Novus 3-2-1 kit from Amazon, can also order wet sandpaper from 600 to 6-10or12000.
When using multiple grade of sandpaper by hand, alternate directions each new grade... up and down with 600, left to right with 900, etc.

Messaged him on messenger twice. Also sent an email on his web site, where it says too for a quote, 2 months ago. Guess he doesnt want my business.

Laserjim,
Not sure if I'm helping or hurting here but I have a 10foot tank built by ReefSavvy. It took me a very long time to get but was worth the wait. You're right though, if you aren't getting return calls or messages there's only so much you can do.

Laserjim,
Not sure if I'm helping or hurting here but I have a 10foot tank built by ReefSavvy. It took me a very long time to get but was worth the wait. You're right though, if you aren't getting return calls or messages there's only so much you can do.

I did finally get a response , but they want 8000.00 for a 360 gallon tank. Way too much in my opinion . I have a guy that I can buy 3 acrylic tanks for that.

Back