Does cigarette smoke impact aquarium health??

If there is an aquarium in a pretty confined space where there is 2nd hand cigarette smoke does it h

• Yes 100%

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Probably not

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It’s the equivalent of a volcano erupting and releasing excess CO2

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Porcupines

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

mellotang

Premium Member
If there is an aquarium in a pretty confined space where there is 2nd hand cigarette smoke does it have an impact on the health of the aquarium?

Maybe some corals more than others?

Good question. I don’t smoke, but growing up my parents both smoked and had a fish only tank. Never saw negative affects for the fish. I would hazard a guess corals might be a different story.

I say yes, any airborne contaminant will have some effect but it would have to really accumulate to be harmful IMO. Carbon run once in a while could likely remove anything meaningful.

In my 20's when having a gathering in my apartment with lots of smoking, a few days later I opened my RODI container ( just a 5gal bucket with the lid sitting on it) and it smelled exactly like cigarette smoke. After that I always believed that RODI was 'hungry' for something to bond with. RHF more or less stated on R2R that RODI being 'hungry' was nonsense. I realise RODI is not the same as mixed salt water but the point is it got in there even with a lid on.

I like polls. Needs more.

need.gif

Had RODI storage in a laundry room with a loosely fitted top

One day I drank some of the water that was in the storage and it taste like detergent

No one added soap to the water but I found out how quickly RODI a water will absorb whatever it can. Whatever particles that were scattered in the air after adding granulated detergent to wash was absorbed to the RODI

Glad I figured that out
Aquariums looked much better after that

Upon reading through past threads it seems that the larger the water volume the less effect the smoke has on the aquarium

Makes sense

Less water, less dilution, more immediate impact

Last edited:
I don't know as my fish don't smoke. Well,, Maybe my fire fish does when I am not looking. So I guess all those volcanoes erupting under the sea also affects fish one way or another. :unsure:

Back