Does my blue tang have ich?

Julius Chen

I bought this blue tang a week ago. Today noticed it developed white spots on both sides. Refer to the photos. Do I have the dreaded ich, or this can be something different (e.g. lymphocytes)?

Refer to the photos attached. This blue tang is medium size, 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" long including the tail.

The white spots vary in size. The smaller ones are quite small almost like powerderly. The larger ones (just 2 or 3 of them) looks a bit smaller than small grain of salt.

I think these spots just started in last 12~24 hours (most likely less than 12 hours).

Help advise me pls.
Julius

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
attaching more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
This blue tang is the newest fish in tank, and 5 other fish came in 3-5 6 weeks before blue tang. All other 5 fish shows no sign of illness.

This blue tang continues to behave normal, swimming and eating. The 2~3 white spots on left side do look a bit bigger, no change seen on right side.

Wondering if and when to intervene.

Update:

No more visible dots on blue tang. All fish look healthy and eating eagerly.

That said, does not mean there is no ich in my tank bottom waiting to bloom and hurt.

Update:

No more visible dots on blue tang. All fish look healthy and eating eagerly.

That said, does not mean there is no ich in my tank bottom waiting to bloom and hurt.

If it was ich, your tank still has it. Read ich stickies for life cycle.

IME, blue tangs are basically guaranteed to have/get ich if not treated prior to going into the display. If you didn't QT and treat your other fish prior to them going into your display you probably already had it in your tank. Just have to hope the new fish is strong enough to fight it off. More than likely any new fish you add will show ich now since it is in your system.

It's bound to happen to everyone at some point. Just keep them fat and happy. Some will say to pull everything out and some like myself have been down that road only to end up in the same boat.

Good to hear Julius Chen.. From the pictures it didn't really look like ich to me but it's possible the pics are blurry.. usually ich looks more like grains of salt, distinct bright white grains. could have been something else.

Back