Dog face puffer,

LoweJ82

How often should I feed the puffer snails & crabs? is there a ceratin type that I should be feeding them?

I don't feed my Dogface any live foods. I also keep snails in the tank with him as part of the cleanup crew (along with a couple of skunk cleaner shrimp) - he doesn't bother them.

I feed mysis, krill, squid, bloodworms, and a few different prepared foods, such as Marine Cuisine, Formula One, etc.

its been eating frozen silversides, I have clams, mysis shrimp and krill and some of the formula one for algae eaters. I read somewhere about them eating snails and crabs to keep there teeth from getting tobig for them.

I feed mine live crabs about every two week it help with his teeth. I also feed him clams, silversides and krill. Sometimes I will give him seed weed but he is not to fond of that.

As for the teeth, puffers often chew on the LR or shells around the tank to keep their teeth in check. They're smart and can usually handle themselves. IME, they chew on the rock at night. It's usually in the morning when the lights come on that I notice a chipped/trimmed tooth.

To keep my porcs teeth short. I feed him crab legs, clams, mussels, and shrimp with the shell. All from the local grocery store.
I don't like the idea of possibly bringing parasites in with live food.

yea I didnt want to feed it livefoods I was told that live foods wasnt good for there liver, It was eating silversides fine till I turned the sump on, when I did this I used a vavle and let it trickle inso that it wasnt a big flush of fresh water.... The puffer was looking great lastnight before bed coming up and checking us out as much as we was checking it out, after a couple hours of the sump being ran through the system it started to look bad breathing heavy and not swiming much or eating any silversides or anything else all day I went and got some ghost shrimp still wouldnt eat them..... While watching the puffer I noticed the heater when it kicked on was BLUE!! with electric current waves running through it!! kicking in orange every other time so I wasnt sure......... can you guess where this is heading?

I called for the g/f and warned her she may need to tackle me as I prepaired to stick a single finger in the puffers tank and waited for the heater to kick on. sure nough I felt a tingle when it kicked on, I unpluged the heater then rerouted the pvc back to the sump within a few minutes it looked better, Now its up in arock arch still breathing a little heavy but looking better. I really hope it makes it the fish had alot of personality, the shock to me wasnt strong however I am just a little more heavy than the fish.

The heater was brand new, I picked up another but almost scared to get everything back up, when I started the return from the sump everything matched between tanks.... temps... salinity... all the other parmeters also was the same.

Guess I will end my long story now lol.

thanks for the tips

yea I didnt want to feed it livefoods I was told that live foods wasnt good for there liver, It was eating silversides fine till I turned the sump on, when I did this I used a vavle and let it trickle inso that it wasnt a big flush of fresh water.... The puffer was looking great lastnight before bed coming up and checking us out as much as we was checking it out, after a couple hours of the sump being ran through the system it started to look bad breathing heavy and not swiming much or eating any silversides or anything else all day I went and got some ghost shrimp still wouldnt eat them..... While watching the puffer I noticed the heater when it kicked on was BLUE!! with electric current waves running through it!! kicking in orange every other time so I wasnt sure......... can you guess where this is heading?

I called for the g/f and warned her she may need to tackle me as I prepaired to stick a single finger in the puffers tank and waited for the heater to kick on. sure nough I felt a tingle when it kicked on, I unpluged the heater then rerouted the pvc back to the sump within a few minutes it looked better, Now its up in arock arch still breathing a little heavy but looking better. I really hope it makes it the fish had alot of personality, the shock to me wasnt strong however I am just a little more heavy than the fish.

The heater was brand new, I picked up another but almost scared to get everything back up, when I started the return from the sump everything matched between tanks.... temps... salinity... all the other parmeters also was the same.

thanks for the tips

thanks for the tips

wow triple post lol sorry bout that.

Sad to have to say that the electric shock put to much stress on the puffer all though it started looking better than it was it didnt make it through the night, it had stoped breathing sometime between 3-7 a.m, I almost wanna call it my own stupidity kinda feel like it was my fault.

I thought I had read on here that the electric current wouldn't bother the fish because they are not grounded. You on the other hand are grounded so that's why you felt it.

Always keep your equipment plugged into GFI outlets!

George

I dont know it was pretty much after the sump was added that it went down hill and everything matched between the 2 tanks all levels are good. it hadnt moved all day or night then I unplugged the heater within 5 mins it was moving some what. Even moved around moving to different areas of the tank. I think it was already stressed it out to bad. I heard that it would stress coral out so I dont know, I will be looking into it maybe something leaked out of the heater into the water.

Back