Don's 150 gallon "my wife is going to kill me" glass box of joy

Quick update here. I picked up a cleaner shrimp and he is in the tank and doing great. I also got a deal on a Yellow Tang about 4 to 5 inches and a small Naso Tang about 3 inches. They are in quarantine at the moment and should be added later this week end or beginning of next week. Both are eating good and very active. If for some reason the Naso gets to large for my 6 foot tank then I have a friend's tank that he can be moved to.

Just take her shopping at the mall and pack her bags around all day until your Credit cards are maxed out you will be fine....

I am so glad Bonnie and i Both enjoy our Reef Aquariums... We have had Aquariums as long as we have been together .. April will be 30 years for us :love2: Those who Reef Together Stay together...:love2::dance:

Just take her shopping at the mall and pack her bags around all day until your Credit cards are maxed out you will be fine....

I am so glad Bonnie and i Both enjoy our Reef Aquariums... We have had Aquariums as long as we have been together .. April will be 30 years for us :love2: Those who Reef Together Stay together...:love2::dance:

Congrats on the 30 years. Mine is not that bad she is just budgeting minded lol. I do catch flake from time to time, but it is very that bad really. I do catch her looking at the tank when she thinks I am occupied doing something else.

Well the Yellow Tang is in the DT and doing great. The Naso Tang did not survive the QT tank. It developed a few spots of what looked to be stress spots and would not eat. Tried everything I knew to do with no luck. It passed on the second day in QT. Here is a pick of the Yellow shortly after moving to the DT this weekend. It is eating like a pig and seems to be doing great.

Attachments

• 20161211_170212.jpg
    20161211_170212.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
We now have a Royal Gama in QT. I also added a sand shifting Cucumber to help with the sand bed. I had a small GHA out break and diatom bloom due to the tank move. Everything is starting to subside. Here is a photo of the cleaner shrimp and this massive snail I picked up to help with the cleanup.

Attachments

• 20161211_170411.jpg
    20161211_170411.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161211_170402.jpg
    20161211_170402.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
On another note updated photos of the tank. The coral seems to be more open and growing pretty fast. I could not be happier with the progress so far.

Attachments

• 20161211_191000.jpg
    20161211_191000.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • rs121316.jpg
    rs121316.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161211_170338.jpg
    20161211_170338.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161211_170346.jpg
    20161211_170346.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
Last night while doing some maintenance work on the tank and sump. I cut my thump cleaning the skimmer collection cup. Not really sure how, but it stung a little. I am also changing out 200 mess filter socks every other day. I have never ran filter socks in the past so this is new to me. I am also running a little carbon in the sock. The skimmer cup is being emptied every three to four days at this time. There is a lot of dark nasty gunk that is being removed. I am trying to get as much removed from the water as possible in the early stages of the tank. My next project is to set up a drain hose for the skimmer and use a brush to clean the skimmer neck with out having to take the cup off and on every couple of days.

Last night I noticed a ton of pods on the glass near the sand bed. They are every where. That is a great sign as it is the tank maturing some. On the tank itself there are what looks like two over flows. One of them is a false over flow made to look like the actual over flow that is offset to one side of the tank. My thoughts are to make this into a in tank fuge of some type. There are holes drilled into the side of it currently that allow the water level of the chamber to adjust with the water level in the tank. My thoughts are to add a small pump into the chamber to pump water out on the chamber and into the main tank. The holes would allow water to flow back in causing a little current. The chamber currently is a battle ground for GHA as it has a free pass to grow. I trimmed quite a bit of it last night out of the chamber. One other thing I noticed is the algae issue I do have seems to be worse under the Ocean Revive lights then the Maxispect light. I ended up turning down the light setting on the Ocean Revive from Blue channel from 35% to 30% and the White channel from 15% to 10%. Blue lights run 12 hours and whites run 7 hours. The corals have been growing better under the Ocean Revive lights vs the Maxispect light. I will have to watch and see if the lowering of the lights effect the coral growth. I understand these battles are common with a newer tank, but it still sucks dealing with it.

This weekend I scraped the idea of staying on the lighter side of the amount of live rock kept in the tank. I have been battling GHA a little so I went back to my roots of what I have had success with in the past. I added about 35 pounds of more live rock to the DT and plan on adding more to the sump area or looking at the idea of the ceramic biological blocks in the sump area. I also started dosing vinegar on Saturday. After adding the live rock and dosing vinegar the GHA is pretty much gone. Diatoms are still covering parts of the sand bed, but most of the diatoms on the rock are gone because of the cuc. Waiting for the sand sifting cucumber to start getting busy. I have not seen it since it was added. I know it can take awhile for them to come out. The Royal Gama was also moved over from the QT tank. It is eating and comes out for short periods of time, but finds comfort in the rock work for now. Will try to add photos this week.

One of the things that happened this weekend at the LFS we go to the most is they gave my oldest son a 5 gallon tank for him to start as well. Still not sure if it was not a plot to sucker me in to buying more stuff or not lol. Well anyways it looks like there is going to be a second small build going along with this one.

Something that I forgot to mention is after the first of the year I planned on paying to become a RC supporter. Year after Year this site has been here to help people in the hobby. I feel it is only fair to help support the site that supports us. Big Thanks to the ones that created this wealth of information.

Scratch that I went ahead and just did it.

Last edited:
Well last night brought a new issue. My Tunze ATO got suck on and dumped 5 gallons of RODI water into my system. Lucky the system is large enough to handle it with out too much of a change in the water chemistry. This thing has been bullet proof in the past. Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

I hope everyone had a great Christmas weekend. Nothing really new to report. Still playing with the light settings to find the proper balance between growing coral and having too much light. Still fighting the battles with the start up algae cycles as well. About to do a water change this week end and see what is next. I know it is part of the staring a new tank, but I really hate this stage of the tank.

Tank is looking great! One suggestion is to give time between Lighting adjustments. My old tank i was constantly screwing with the setting and i could not get it dialed in. This one i make an adjustment and live with it for a month before i do anything else. I have had much better results.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Back