Don't call it a comeback!

chelskisw6

So after a decade or so without a tank, I'm back :)

I recently moved to Reno so I am taking some LFS suggestions.

After a bit of research I think I am planning to go with the Reefer 250 and set up a refugium underneath.

Now a decade away from the industry as left me behind a little, new lights, everything controlled by your smart phone etc, so my once expert status has now returned to n00b level.

I am taking suggestions for my proposed system...
Quiet return pump
Skimmer
Any suggested mods for a brand new Reefer 250
Lights - ideally I'd like one long light unit that sits low to the tank surface.

And all the electronic stuff, wow I am overwhelmed! I keep reading good things about the Apex. Anyone willing to give me a 101 class on this?

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being a part of this community again :)

So after a decade or so without a tank, I'm back :)

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being a part of this community again :)

Oh boy, you have a lot of reading up to do.

The reefer 250 is a great tank and people are having Tons of success with it. Good choice there.

For a quiet return pump, I'm a huge fan of the cheap jebao DC pumps, but almost any DC pump will be great for this application. Ecotech had two different sizes if you wanted to straight to the top of the line there.

Skimmers are still basically the same as they used to be. I think the reefer has a built in skimmer, and I'm not sure if you can fit one in the sump, but reef octopus and vertex are my favorite brands. Skimz makes some really nice stuff too.

For lighting, you are going to want to go with LEDs probably. If you want to go T5 just grab an ATI sunpower or geisman fixture and call it a day.

For LEDs, the leaders in the business are probably ecotech and AI. For the reefer 250 you can probably do a couple radions or primes and you would be set. Note- if you do get radions you can link them up to vortec power heads as a bonus. For that "one low fixture" look, you might want to check out the kessil AP700, which should actually be perfect for that sized tank.

Apexes and other controllers are awesome and have really transformed this hobby. The issue with a "101 class" on the Apex is that it is so versatile that it's hard to really explain. It's basically a computer that controls as many power outlets as you want, automatically monitors parameters and temperature using probes, manages your lighting and flow, and pretty much anything else that you will need. A basic unit just has 8 outlets, a salinity and PH probe, and the head unit if I remember correctly, but you can just keep adding and adding to these things. They're damn expensive though at $800 to just start.

Hope this helped somewhat. Good luck with the new build!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree with Reef Noob. I am in the same position, trying to get back into it after 12-13 years out, when we only used LEDs for moonlight and I don't think there were any DC pumps. Been reading for the past week, researching a lot of new stuff and haven't even begun. Can't offer much help, but I will be following along, hoping for some insight from the experts.

Cat5 and Ben485 - It's a little overwhelming isnt it!? There's even a ton of new acronyms to make it even more confusing!

The reefer 250 is a great tank and people are having Tons of success with it. Good choice there.

For a quiet return pump, I'm a huge fan of the cheap jebao DC pumps, but almost any DC pump will be great for this application. Ecotech had two different sizes if you wanted to straight to the top of the line there.

Skimmers are still basically the same as they used to be. I think the reefer has a built in skimmer, and I'm not sure if you can fit one in the sump, but reef octopus and vertex are my favorite brands. Skimz makes some really nice stuff too.

For lighting, you are going to want to go with LEDs probably. If you want to go T5 just grab an ATI sunpower or geisman fixture and call it a day.

For LEDs, the leaders in the business are probably ecotech and AI. For the reefer 250 you can probably do a couple radions or primes and you would be set. Note- if you do get radions you can link them up to vortec power heads as a bonus. For that "one low fixture" look, you might want to check out the kessil AP700, which should actually be perfect for that sized tank.

Apexes and other controllers are awesome and have really transformed this hobby. The issue with a "101 class" on the Apex is that it is so versatile that it's hard to really explain. It's basically a computer that controls as many power outlets as you want, automatically monitors parameters and temperature using probes, manages your lighting and flow, and pretty much anything else that you will need. A basic unit just has 8 outlets, a salinity and PH probe, and the head unit if I remember correctly, but you can just keep adding and adding to these things. They're damn expensive though at $800 to just start.

Hope this helped somewhat. Good luck with the new build!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That's very helpful, thank you!

There's definitely a ton of reading to continue with and luckily I have a couple months until I'm going to take the plunge (waiting to move into a new house).

I'd love whatever system I have to be streamlined, so ideally every component I get, lights/pumps etc to all be compatible with the Apex. I've read a few threads which mention some things work together and some don't (just haven't figured out whats/what yet).

It's definitely a little intimidating learning all the new tech and equipment, thankfully all my knowledge of looking after the livestock is retained :)

Lastly... which websites are the best/have the best deals for equipment and fish/corals. Marine Depot and Liveaquaria were the leaders last time I checked, anything new worth looking at?

Cat5 and Ben485 - It's a little overwhelming isnt it!? There's even a ton of new acronyms to make it even more confusing!

Overwhelming is an understatement. It's like a whole new world out there now. Most of the websites I had saved (reefermadness.com for example, who had the BEST SPS) isn't even active now. It's like starting from scratch all over again.

Octo skimmers with DC pumps are dead quiet. Im moving my return pumps over to them as well. Lights, I was running only LED with 5 IA Prime HDs. They are awesome for the price. I was having some shadowing issues so I added 2 60" T5s for fill on a 6 foot tank.
The best think I can say is get an Apex and learn it.

I got back in 2 years ago. Just remember... the older gear still 'works'. A lot of your older knowledge will still apply to the new tank. You don't 'have' to use a controller to run a successful tank. The controller may make it easier, or if you're not technically savvy, it may make it harder.

I started my tank up with T5's, and regular pumps. I did replace the return pump with a Jaebo DC pump. I still run the T5's. I may switch to LEDs at some point this year.

Glad to see I'm not alone!! It's been 7 years since my last visit on the site

So much to learn again. Good luck everyone :)

Back