Dosing dextrose (glucose) in a reef tank

Haimovfids

I have been experimenting with dosing glucose in my tank.

Background: my tank is 260 gallons. I keep acropora and maxima clams (10 clams currently).

I have been wanting to dose sugar for a long time. The main reason is because the benthic bacteria could potentially be used as food for starfish.

I’ve been dosing about .1-.2 tsp a day. I made a solution of 1,000mL vinegar and a tablespoon on glucose and I dose 60mL of that.

I read from an old post that glucose doesn’t make corals brown compared to sucrose, I’m not sure if that statement is true. I haven’t noticed any significant changes to my tank since initiating glucose dosing. I would like to know if glucose has any influence on acropora coloration.

Glucose doesn’t seem to darken Sps like sucrose. That was during the period where metal halides and T5 were popular vs the current LEDs. Not sure if that would make a difference but I’ll mention it.

Glucose doesn’t seem to darken Sps like sucrose. That was during the period where metal halides and T5 were popular vs the current LEDs. Not sure if that would make a difference but I’ll mention it.
Well, I do use 100% T5. lol

How high would you go with the glucose dosing? I can’t find much info on it. I started dosing .36tsp of glucose a day for the past 2 days. I haven’t seen any effects so far.

I really like the “light” acro appearance.

Well, I do use 100% T5. lol

How high would you go with the glucose dosing? I can’t find much info on it. I started dosing .36tsp of glucose a day for the past 2 days. I haven’t seen any effects so far.

I really like the “light” acro appearance.
If it's anything like other carbon sources it will take weeks to see changes not days. Going too fast (not saying you are) usually ends in cyano rather than any desired results.

I took a look at this thread: Dosing Sugar (Sucrose) vs Glucose (Dextrose)? - Reef Central Online Community

@Genetics posted there.

And then I saw this thread where @Genetics mentioned that he actually liked the appearance of his SPS corals after using glucose, but I just realized that he was dosing much less than I am.

@Genetics What type of color changes did you notice with your SPS? Do you still have a tank? If so, do you still dose glucose to it?

I am going to lower my glucose dosing to 0.04tsp of glucose a day in my 260 gallon tank. I think that will work.

I took a look at this thread: Dosing Sugar (Sucrose) vs Glucose (Dextrose)? - Reef Central Online Community

@Genetics posted there.

And then I saw this thread where @Genetics mentioned that he actually liked the appearance of his SPS corals after using glucose, but I just realized that he was dosing much less than I am.

@Genetics What type of color changes did you notice with your SPS? Do you still have a tank? If so, do you still dose glucose to it?

I am going to lower my glucose dosing to 0.04tsp of glucose a day in my 260 gallon tank. I think that will work.
That feels like a lifetime ago. I would have to sit down and dig through some old files on my computer to figure out what amount I was adding but I don’t believe it was much daily.

Where do you get the glucose? If I remember correctly, sugar is a combination of glucose and sucrose.

Where do you get the glucose? If I remember correctly, sugar is a combination of glucose and sucrose.
That’s easy. Here: Bulk Dextrose Powder, Pure Source of Glucose and Carbohydrates, Food Grade 2.5lb Value Size Bag. https://a.co/d/2HXsRsx

White sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Glucose by itself is a simple sugar. :)

I had a few years off but I am setting one up again. It’s certainly a process these days. Costs on about all hobby material is crazy and taking a bit longer to get.
Do you have any pictures of your previous tank? :)

I can’t wait for you to get started again! It’s certainly a process nowadays unfortunately.

Do you have any pictures of your previous tank? :)

I can’t wait for you to get started again! It’s certainly a process nowadays unfortunately.
Oddly, I don't have any FTS at the peak of the aquarium. Not really sure why I didn't take any. Or if I just haven't found the images yet. Here's a few decent pics I took back then.

Attachments

• Branching Acro BN 3-09.jpg
    Branching Acro BN 3-09.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Purple Pink Digitata Bottlebrush 3-09.jpg
    Purple Pink Digitata Bottlebrush 3-09.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FireGobyFocus4.jpg
    FireGobyFocus4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Front Side 1-28-09.jpg
    Front Side 1-28-09.jpg