Need help! How do I cut up thick SPS colonies in the tank?

This is what I used for super thick colonies. Cuts things up very accurately and like butter. I know you said no chisel, but trust me when I tell you that you can do some very detailed work with this tool. I just use the side of a bone cutter as the "hammer".. .light tap is all that's needed as it's very very sharp.

This is what I used for super thick colonies. Cuts things up very accurately and like butter. I know you said no chisel, but trust me when I tell you that you can do some very detailed work with this tool. I just use the side of a bone cutter as the "hammer".. .light tap is all that's needed as it's very very sharp.
Just ordered one. I’ll give it a try. Do you strike it under water or somewhat drained?

Just ordered one. I’ll give it a try. Do you strike it under water or somewhat drained?
All under water.. don't over think it. Put the blade end right against the across and give it a wak. If you want cut longer than the length of the blade, do light taps and create a dotted line pattern until it falls off. It's pretty intuitive if you are handy with tools

I'd use a coping saw.

1720116205078.png

Kevin

I didn’t get around to it this weekend, perhaps next weekend. I ended up reworking the return from my kalkwasser reactor which was more pressing. It would get bubbles in it and they would clog it and water would get on the floor

Please let us know how it goes. Pics would be great.
Got to it today, even took picks. The chisel worked well. One coral cracked in the middle, took a bunch more than I wanted but really opened up a lot of real estate for my oregano tort and pink lemon aid

Before and after GC ultimate eflo this was far and away the hardest to cut. Took like 20 min just chipping a line back and forth
IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

Those cuttings are basically instant colonies by themselves. Looking forward to seeing more updates!
Yea, I gave most of them the to the LFS. I kept a few for a friend in my sump but I don’t think he’s going to make it by this time. I need to give them away. Soon

Back