Dosing Vodka

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
I started dosing Vodka (Grey Goose) around 2 weeks ago.
Reason being is I've always had a small amount of Nitrate & Phosphate and other methods of removal were ineffective.

My method was to start with a small dose and gradually move up.
started with 3 ml & now I dose 6 ml per day.
After 2 weeks my Nitrate & Phos levels are undetectable, water is visibly cleared, skimmer is producing 1 skimmercup full of GAK every 2 days (Nasty black slime stinkin Gak, yeah, the good stuff).

I am impressed.. Being a skeptical person by nature I had my doubts. But the proof is in the pudding (err, Gak).
It works- Try it...

Ive done it the past and had good results as well. All the leather corals had full polp extension almost all the time. It works, but you must have a good skimmer.

too funny, i have been reading about vodka dosing now for the last 2 hours. i decide to switch over here to see what is going on and there is your post. i am picking up a phosban reactor thursday so i am not sure if i am going to dose now or not.
keep us updated please on your success

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10987675#post10987675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mduvall219
too funny, i have been reading about vodka dosing now for the last 2 hours. i decide to switch over here to see what is going on and there is your post. i am picking up a phosban reactor thursday so i am not sure if i am going to dose now or not.
keep us updated please on your success

I've had much better success w/ Vodka. I tried PhosBan and used for 4 months before ditching it & using my TLF-reactor for carbon. Even with the Phosban, there was always a trace amount of Phosphates & Nitrates- figured it was a questionable piece of LR leaching. Then, like I said, got a wild hair up my butt and decided to start dosing Vodka.

Just remember to start with a small dose (2-3ml) & work up, the last think you want is a "visible" bac bloom.
also- Use quality Vodka or even Everclear. I use Goose but any Top-shelf Vodka will suffice, sucks wasting good liquor *but* considering the cause- Its OK

During the first week you might notice that instead of cleaning your glass every 1-2 days, you do it every 4-5. Also- with me, when i first started dosing there was a whitish looking film on the glass. Apparantly this is normal when dosing Vodka.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10990454#post10990454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ConcreteReefer
I've had much better success w/ Vodka. I tried PhosBan and used for 4 months before ditching it & using my TLF-reactor for carbon. Even with the Phosban, there was always a trace amount of Phosphates & Nitrates- figured it was a questionable piece of LR leaching. Then, like I said, got a wild hair up my butt and decided to start dosing Vodka.

Just remember to start with a small dose (2-3ml) & work up, the last think you want is a "visible" bac bloom.
also- Use quality Vodka or even Everclear. I use Goose but any Top-shelf Vodka will suffice, sucks wasting good liquor *but* considering the cause- Its OK

just got a bottle of absolut for helping a guy with his house. sounds like it will do the trick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10987703#post10987703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizsmaster
mike,

i have a phosban 150 if you are interested. would sure beat the pricetag of a new one ... lol
damn just ordered it yesterday

Back