Too much vodka

Scotty333!!!

Is there a limit on how much carbon dosing you can add , I mean if you observe no ill effects?
I’m dosing 20ml in 525ltr tank , started 10 days ago with vodka
Nitrates are stable at 25 but wanted them down to <10ppm

I’m not sure if there’s a limit but it seems based on the charts, it is increased over time:

Table1-40Proof.jpg

Its going to take some time. I'm sure phosphate is contributing to the GHA as well. Once you get well into your dosing regimen your nitrates will hit zero. once that happens you should cut your vodka dose in half. If nitrates start to raise again raise your vodka dose slightly and then hold steady that will be your maintenance dose.

One thing to consider carbon dosing removes phosphate but at a much slower rate than nitrate. When you become nitrate limited (0 nitrate) phosphate will no longer be pulled from the water via carbon dosing. This is when you should implement a GFO reactor.

some more reading. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I’ve never done this dosing so I can’t really help otherwise

As the article suggests, the bacteria population will increase over time consuming more and more nitrates. Once your nitrates get to the level you want, you'll have to back off the vodka dosing and figure out what your "maintenance" amount is. Unfortunately there is no one set amount as bioloads, types of food, and feeding schedules/amounts all pay a factor.

Is there a limit on how much carbon dosing you can add , I mean if you observe no ill effects?
I’m dosing 20ml in 525ltr tank , started 10 days ago with vodka
Nitrates are stable at 25 but wanted them down to <10ppm

Yes you can create a bacteria bloom. This bloom can deplete the water of oxygen in some case.
The water can get real cloudy when this happens.
I also had it were bacteria will coat the rocks with this slimy clear sludge..

Dosed 30ml vodka this morning to the 25ppm nitrate
Latest nitrate result below

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Yes you can create a bacteria bloom. This bloom can deplete the water of oxygen in some case.
The water can get real cloudy when this happens.
I also had it were bacteria will coat the rocks with this slimy clear sludge..
No bacterial bloom yet , nitrates at 10-15ppm

Back