Dragon Wrasse!!!

wanabebell

Ive always ALWAYS wanted a dragon wrasse.
But my Local LFS only gets them when I already have a large agressive wrasse (surely to annoy me)
any how in my show tank I have a 8.5-9 inch Lunar Wrasse.
so sure enough my LFS got a 2.5-3 inch dragon.

My question is how long could I keep a dragon wrasse in a 29 gallon.....Please do not to roast or flame me....I am asking because i am concerned not because i want to start WW3

I know that I would have to keep the wrasse in there until the dragon wrasse was at least 4.5 inches long.
Because I have a Jewelled moray and a green wolf eel in the show tank So I do not want to have a dragon wrasse end up as a snack.

How long is a REASONABLE time table to be able to keep the dragon in a 29 gallon?

i have one that has been in a 20 gal tall tank for at least four years with no problem that i can see ,he is now 4" long and morphing .i havent asked him personaly if he like it but he seems ok with the three square meals a day ! lol i think he will be fine IMO

I've always liked those also but i hear they can do some damage since they tend to knock over rocks and move pretty much everything in the tank. Is this true?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why are these considered so hard to keep?

Also, I am not sure if I would keep one in a 29 gallon for too long. Until it reaches 4.5 inches might take a year or so. Probably much longer than I would keep it in a 29.

i also would like to know of any experience with these fish... i didnt think they are particularly hard to keep

I have a 2 inch dragon wrasse now and previously had a larger one. They are not hard to keep if you have a sand bed because they bury themselves at night. They also need a high protein diet, because they are very active.

I don't think they would last long in a 29 because both of mine doubled in size in less than a year.

do they move rocks around and stuff? I dont want it to tumble a boulder through my tank and flood my house... any other tips keeping one? What else do you keep with it?

Yes they do move small rocks with their mouth and they stir up the sand with their tails. If the fish was really big, I guess it could move enough sand from under a rock to move it, but I never had anything like that happen before.

I currently have a spanish hogfish, red coris wrasse, and koran angel with mine.

I think dragon wrasses are really cool fish, but as juveniles and adults.

I have frequently used smaller tanks to "grow up" a fish for a tank with larger tankmates. I think you could probably put it in the big tank before it was 4.5". you'll get a feel for when the 29 is too small and when it will be big enough to fend for itself in the larger tank.

have you seen this article?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rockmover.htm

are they really aggressive? could i keep it with a dwarf angel or clowns or something like that or do they need really aggressive tank mates.

I think you could keep one with tough clowns (not ocellaris) or feisty angels. Keep in mind that they are active and get a foot long.

from what I have read. They are very easy to raise if you get a small one..Big ones are hard to get to eat. I hear they can get to be terrors once they start getting big. But I have never personnally owned one

As a juvenile, won't other aggressive fish, such as trigger and puffer bight at the dragon's long fins? Kind of like with a lionfish.

they might try....Youtube a video of a juvi dragon wrasse..they act like a floating leaf....I think it would be il-advised to add a small dragon with triggers and puffers....thats why i think im gonna end up putting the dragon in the 29 so that it can grow up then be put in the show tank with the "monsters"

Back