Dwarf Angelfish With Corals? Is this Lighting OK?

EelFan

Wasnt sure on where to post this, hopefully here is fine.
In November I got two Dwarf Angels a Bicolor and a Coral Beauty. At the time i didnt plan on getting any corals but now i would like to get a few, are there any types that would do OK with Dwarf Angels? I know that in the past I had Mushroom Corals aswell as an Anemone with my past dwarf angels and they did fine. The Anemones always died because i didnt have the proper lighting, that said if anyone can give opinions on this lighting setup before i get one itd be appreciated.
Lighting Setup is

2 Current Orbit Marine LED Reef Lights 48-60inch. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27873

1 Marineland LED Strip 48-60Inch Link - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+28556&pcatid=28556&r=518
1 Marine Land Hidden LED 21Inch Link - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+24833&pcatid=24833&r=518

I was told that one Current wasnt enough for an Anemone but if i had two i could maintain an Bubbletip Anemone (i have a YS Maroon clownish).

I have a good Skimmer and a good filter, tank is 75Gallons, has about 80Pounds of live rock and has been running since June 2013.

Opinions on good Corals to start out with would also be appreciated.

Soft corals will be fine with the Dwarfs, stay away from the SPS & to a lesser extent LPS corals, my dwarfs used to nip my SPS to the point that the polyps stopped extending & eventually they bleached out. Good Luck!

Soft corals will be fine with the Dwarfs, stay away from the SPS & to a lesser extent LPS corals, my dwarfs used to nip my SPS to the point that the polyps stopped extending & eventually they bleached out. Good Luck!

Not all dwarf angels are wired the same way. I have a Coral Beauty that only eats zoas. I can't put a zoa in my 180g reef and keep it more than a few days (depending on the size of the frag or colony). But it never goes after anyother corals in my tank.

To OP; the lights you have are very weak and don't penetrate the water very well at 18" deep (that's both the Current and Marineland). They are OK over shallow tanks of 12" and maybe even 18". You could keep an anemone, like a rock flower, if you keep it in the upper half of the tank. If you want to keep lps & sps corals, I'd recommend you seriously look into new lights. If you want leds, get ones that use 3 watt leds (your's are well less than 1 watt leds).

Last edited:
I have a Coral Beauty that don't touch anything. I have had it for about 9 months now and it's about 3-3.5 inches. IMO, I think the CB, African Flameback, and the Cherub are the safest out of the Dwarf Angels. Even with them they are reef safe with caution, meaning they can nip and eat corals. My buddy had a Bi-color and he started eating and nipping at this corals the 2nd day in the tank. He destroyed a Leather Toadstool, Acan, and a Duncan in a 2 week timeframe before my buddy could get him out.

To OP; the lights you have are very weak and don't penetrate the water very well at 18" deep (that's both the Current and Marineland). They are OK over shallow tanks of 12" and maybe even 18". You could keep an anemone, like a rock flower, if you keep it in the upper half of the tank. If you want to keep lps & sps corals, I'd recommend you seriously look into new lights. If you want leds, get ones that use 3 watt leds (your's are well less than 1 watt leds).

Do you think that even with 2 Current Orbit Reef lights, it's still not enough light?

Thanks for the responses. Funnily enough the second current was ordered just two days ago. And the Other Current is just a few weeks old so updating my lights again is a bit much, ill have to wait. The Current is actually quite bright, perhaps your thinking of a different model. The Marine-land though is very very weak. My past lighting was T5's, a 4fter white and a 3ft Blue (i still have those lights & Could stick one of them on the tank if itd help). I was told by the best LFS in the area that these lights would be enough.

192 LED at a total of 46watts I'd say your going to be hard pressed to keep anything on the sand bed.i would throw the 4 ft 54 watt t5 fixture over it.

Aswell as the other two Leds? I can do that. Im mainly looks for stuff to go on the rocks, not the sand.

It's a shame you didn't look at the Mars Aqua eBay light. Probably the same price as the current and would be to powerful for your tank. I run my whites below half and blues about three quarters and even there my corals have to sit on the sand for 2 weeks and slowly move their way up when I get new ones.

My coral beauty doesn't bother any of my corals at all. Just picks at algae off the rocks but as I'm sure you'll read results will very. Somewhere on this site is a dwarf angel spreadsheet with reported instances of coral eating.

Do you think that even with 2 Current Orbit Reef lights, it's still not enough light?

Adding more weak leds is gonna give you coverage but still dont help with depth, you actually need both coverage and depth to keep corals with led's. Thats why in alot of led threads they state even with quality fixtures you need twice as many as reccomended for the coverage but the fixtures can get the depth.

Back