eBay LED light users?

cnreef

Curious if anyone is currently using either the aquastar or Mars Aqua LED lights off eBay. If you are, please post your experience with them and your tank size. The aquastar appear to be better suited for a deeper tank with their 90 degree optics? While I'm thinking the Mars Aqua might work well for something shorter than 24 inches with a mixture of 90 and 120 optics? That is the main difference between the units that I noticed, also the aquastar has some violet 420nm LEDs (unsure just how beneficial those would be).

Here are the 2 units for those curious:

Aquastar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaSTAR-16...Spectrum-Reef-Coral-Fish-Marine-/281553749262

Mars Aqua
http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Dimmab...arine-Reef-Coral-Fish-Tank-Lamp-/251495773757

Running 1 mars aqua 300w on my 265g with 2 d120s on the side, I loved it so much I bought a second one to replace the d120s. The d120 needed to run at 100% with 90 optics, the mars aqua I have at 60%

I just got an aquastar two weeks ago. It was supposed to have 90 degree optics, but I got 350 par on the bottom, 32" away from the fixture (through 24" of water) at only 90%/60%, so they have to be 60 degrees. I can't comment on the drivers used, but my two diy fixtures I made four years ago use bridgelux (same as aquastar) and I haven't had any leds fail. Growth has been inconsistent on the current tank, but that has to do more with water chemistry and a few setbacks I had with that. Overall growth has been good.

This red planet has been grown under only those diy fixtures. Spectrum on them should be very close to the aquastar, and like I said they have the same leds. It went from no branches, just the encrusted part a little smaller than a quarter to this in about 1.5 years with multiple setbacks in water chemistry. It's getting about 450 par. It's now about 3" x 4", can't explain why it's not growing upward yet though. Although I've never had anything tabling before this so maybe that's normal

Like I said I've only had the aquastar for two weeks, but I've been running the same brand leds for 4 years with different drivers. If the drivers turn out to be junk, meanwells are fairly cheap, reliable, and easy to replace.

Running two AquaStar boxes myself. Just added them this week so no real feedback to offer obviously, but they seemed to be one of the better eBay options.

2x Mars Aqua 165/120's sitting 10 inches over my 90 gallon. Love them... Can't imagine paying $700+ for a single fixture when these are $100 each. Cannot beat it... I would buy again.

My only complaint is that the fans are not the most quiet but they are standard 80mm PC fans and if you have any experience with building PC's at all you know how cheap and easy of a fix that is...

Awesome feedback on these lights, thanks guys. Any of the aquastar users care to chime in regarding fan noise?

Awesome feedback on these lights, thanks guys. Any of the aquastar users care to chime in regarding fan noise?

Not a user, but from my conversations with guys that have other units the fans seems to be the same. Probably made by the same knock-off manufacturer. You can get nearly silent replacement fans from brands like Zalman, Cooler Master, and Corsair on Newegg.com and even Amazon.

I was concerned about the fan noise, then I opened up the top of my unit and giggled because the fans are literally the same fans that come in a Dell Inspiron.

I have mine right next to a reef breeder photon 32 and their exactly the same dB imo. I can't hear them in my canopy at all.

Fans are super easy to replace if that's something you want to do later tho...

I have mine right next to a reef breeder photon 32 and their exactly the same dB imo. I can't hear them in my canopy at all.

Fans are super easy to replace if that's something you want to do later tho...

Ditto. Mine are also silent for now. But a high quality low should fan (all fans are should rated so it's easy to find one) will only run generally +/-$15.

I opened my d120 last night to check the connecting pins and they arent the usual 3 pins like computer case fans. They are a 2 pin connector. So be careful and actually open the lights before you go and order fans.

lol. Neither did I. I clicked on it thinking it must be a scam or error. I am thinking about ordering one to try it on my frag tank.

These look super cool and the price is fantastic. I just love how you can tell that they are Chinese just by reading the post on eBay. I love it when they use Google translate and trust it 100%.

3. Attentions:

(1). ensure that the product under normal use environment.
(2). Do not touch the product at work, beating products.
(3). This product is not waterproof, do not watering.
(4). Just indoor use only. NOT intended for outdoor use.

Heck I found them for 148 free shipping

I found the same listing, that is just INSANE! They are for sure going on my next build, with a couple of the cool whites and both the reds and greens replaced with warm whites. Maybe replacing a couple of the blues with UV as well.

Back