eBay LED light users?

I have 2 wi fi units the app is easy to use ... I had to remove the lenses and tend to not run the color at more than 50% due to the over abundance of red and warm white diodes ... Also these units lack the small heat-sink the aqua star units have but those seemed to be more of a gimmick due to how small the heat-sinks where ...

I like that the royal blue and blue are on separate channels ... allows for use of moonlights etc ... They have no uv

I have 2 bml led with uv's and t5s to complete the spectrum ...

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
anyone try the Wifi ones that have the additional features of thunderstorm, cloud, moon?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311358905321#ht_3821wt_812

Think i'm going to pull the trigger but curious if anyone had any feedback.....

I clicked the link and thought the $350 was for only 1 of them and was OMG, no way in hell thunderstorm effect is worth $200 lmfao. Having warm whites, neutral whites, and reds is just a bit scary to me though... Way too much of a red spectrum. On top of that having no violets in them. If you took out the reds and replaced them with violet and replaced the green with uv that would be pretty awesome I think. Don't take my work for it though, I'm no expert by any means, only going by the adjustments I've made on my led's that I have now and what they seem to like better.

SOB, I wish I new about the wifi product. I wonder if I can buy it separately and add it on to the office tank as they want moon lights for when they're open after hours. :/

I've had the mars aqua 300w on my 40b for about 6 months now. It works great. I recently bought a second one for my 46 bow from nem tank.

Why are these leds so high of wattage? 165 seems like a lot even tho there is 55 bulbs.

Apologies if that's a dumb question lol

55 leds x 3 watts each is 165 watts. With the proper drivers and power supplies this is what the unit capable of. Not sure how they are driven though.

Rob,

I agree I don't think they are pushing near that amount. My evergrow on a TS-836A Plug Power Meter shows at full power on both channels 102.1 watts draw. I am sure there is more to this math

Regards

55 leds x 3 watts each is 165 watts. With the proper drivers and power supplies this is what the unit capable of. Not sure how they are driven though.
Right they list the highest possible watts, BUT not with the hardware the lights come with is actually capable of....its much lower in reality.

likely closer to 96 watts.

"3W" LEDS are often capable of 1000-1200mA at ~2.5-3V - it is common practice to run them at 700mA maximum - giving you 96-115W of actual usage by the LEDs.

Are you guys having good results in growing corals with these?

I feel like full spectrum would be better than the white and blue/actinic lights I got now.

Last edited:
Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.

Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.

why not just buy a digital power strip
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coralife-Di...ltDomain_0&hash=item20c552cd71#ht_1011wt_1006

or a couple individual timers while your gone?
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=EMNkVcXYG-rksATUloDYBA&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAw

Hi,

Do not leave your lights on 24/7. You are taking a huge risk not having someone check on your tank while you're gone. I can almost guarantee, even with a tank sitter, you're going to come back to a mess. At least that's the common theme on here when people leave their tanks for an extended period of time. Just search the threads.

As mentioned a timer would be your best option right now. And do yourself and your pets a favor and have someone check on them daily. Show someone now how to top off with freshwater and other simple tasks. Have a contingency plan with a LFS in the event of an emergency like a leak.

So...this system isn't programmable?

The manual dimming LED's are not programmable. As mentioned they offer a wifi programable version. They can also easily be wired to an Apex if you have one.

How do these compare to the reefbreeder photon 32s? Are they really the exact same? I'm looking for a light for a 40 gal breeder for mostly LPS and some SPS. I def want something programmable so I can simulate different lighting spectrums throughout the day, can the wireless version do that?

I remember taking apart one of the reef breeder photons and the drivers were only 350mA. So even with the drivers at 100% the actual LEDs are only being pushed to 25-50% their max.

I just ordered the 165w dimmable Mars Aqua for a new 17g tank set up

For a whopping $78 , I figured I couldn't go wrong

Back