Ecotech radion xr15 gen4 pro questions

snake1

Premium Member
Would one Ecotech radion xr15 g4 pro work on a 60 cube? I know they say 24"x 24" max spread but 18"x18" spread is recommend, but realistically I wouldn't have corals filling The whole 24"x 24" area I would have a center rock structure with sps corals growing all around that and upwards not filling the 24"x 24" area I need water flow and fish to swim in that area around the rock and coral structure ,and i maybe even supplement with some t5s I would love your input thanks.

IMO you'll have shadowing issues with just one. At 24" deep you probably won't have enough PAR either. Ideally you'd have something like 4 pucks, but that's too expensive...

I have 4 XR15 G4 pro on 60 x 30 x 24h tank. The coverage is amazing.

1 XR15 G4 pro would be enough for 18 X 18 area.

Keep in mind the G3 and G4 are miles apart.
The G4 are that much better.

I can make a video later, showing my coverage.
The par is enough. My BTA went in hiding when I replace my G3 pro to the G4 pro.

I use the same intensely and they didn't like it. It cause them to shift around.
Hence Why I had some to sell here. $$$

Now that I lowered the intensely they seemed to have stop moving.

PRODUCT-SWEETSPOT.jpg

My theory for the Gens 4 Pros for the new light spreads. Mostly copy and paste, just for reference.

Its the HEI lenses. I believe they are taking advantage of Snell's law.

BACKGROUND-HEILens.jpg

330px-Snells_law2.svg.png

As light passes the border between media, depending upon the relative refractive indices of the two media, the light will either be refracted to a lesser angle, or a greater one.

Coverage has more than one aspect. The HEI lenses are definitely better at more even dispersion of light. But, that light is still from a single small point. Having multiple pucks/light sources will hit the corals from other angles and give you more complete coverage in most areas.

You could just supplement with T5s...

I wrote an email to eco tech and they said one xr15 gen4pro would be more then enough for a 24 x24 x24 sps dominant tank.

Now that I'm looking on the used section of reef central I'm wondering would you guys buy a new gen 4pro xr15 ...or a used gen 3 pro xr30? One puck vs two pucks but older. The new gen4 xr15 is 399.99 and a used gen3 pro xr30 is about the same price tag just used. What would you guys do?

If you go with the gen 3, xr30 , when you upgrade, And you will ! You will have less light to buy then.

Back