Stocking advice and sequence to add

NancyT3

Good morning, I have used some prior recommendations and advice on stocking and read up on it, but would appreciate your advice on my proposed stocking list as well as guidance on order in which to add the fish. Also if better in multiples or couples vs single fish. If you have alternates that are better, please offer that up as well.

System info: I have a Planet Aquarium glass. 140 gal tank 48"x 24" x 29". Using a sump, AF 200 Alpha Fuge Refugium Sump, Supreme Aqua Mag 1200 GPH Pump, Aquatop 500s Titanium heater, AlHydra 32HD LED (2), and a Aragonite Alive Fiji pink course sand plus LIve Rock structure. We are doing the full set up on Saturday and will start cycling. Using the LFS store water both RO for an auto drip for evaporation and the saltwater for 10% weekly changes.

Here is my proposed list:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Royal gramma, Gramma loreto
5 Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis
a paired goby and red banded pistol shrimp
1 coral beauty angelfish, Centropyge bispinosa
1 orange butterfly fish, Chaetodon kleini
2 blue-green chromis, Chromis viridis
1 orange-back fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis

Also considered, but eliminated because of space/ ratio of adult fish size to tank size
Chalk bass, Purple firefish, yellow-tail Damselfish.

What do y'all think?

Thank you!
Nancy

Last edited:
Depending on the Clown species, some can be territorial (Tomatoes, Maroons, Clarkiis) and may need to be added later down the list. Have you decided which species of Clowns?

Do you know more specifically what species the Orange Butterflyfish is? Chaetodon Kleini? If so, those tend to be peaceful if my memory serves.

Overall, if you're doing fish only, it might be a bit crowded but that's my opinion. I personally lean more towards fewer fish and more corals/inverts.

As for adding the list above. I would add the Coral Beauty and possibly the Clowns (see above comment about the specific species of the Clowns) last as those have potential to be a bit aggressive.

Depending on the Clown species, some can be territorial (Tomatoes, Maroons, Clarkiis) and may need to be added later down the list. Have you decided which species of Clowns?

Do you know more specifically what species the Orange Butterflyfish is? Chaetodon Kleini? If so, those tend to be peaceful if my memory serves.

Overall, if you're doing fish only, it might be a bit crowded but that's my opinion. I personally lean more towards fewer fish and more corals/inverts.

As for adding the list above. I would add the Coral Beauty and possibly the Clowns (see above comment about the specific species of the Clowns) last as those have potential to be a bit aggressive.
Thank you. I added the species into an edited stock list above.

I agree with @griss. Even ocellaris clowns can be territorial. You’d definitely be leaning heavier on stocking and with anthias feeding requirements, maybe pushing bioload. I would consider adding a skimmer in this case to help with potential nutrient export

Good morning, I have used some prior recommendations and advice on stocking and read up on it, but would appreciate your advice on my proposed stocking list as well as guidance on order in which to add the fish. Also if better in multiples or couples vs single fish. If you have alternates that are better, please offer that up as well.

System info: I have a Planet Aquarium glass. 140 gal tank 48"x 24" x 29". Using a sump, AF 200 Alpha Fuge Refugium Sump, Supreme Aqua Mag 1200 GPH Pump, Aquatop 500s Titanium heater, AlHydra 32HD LED (2), and a Aragonite Alive Fiji pink course sand plus LIve Rock structure. We are doing the full set up on Saturday and will start cycling. Using the LFS store water both RO for an auto drip for evaporation and the saltwater for 10% weekly changes.

Here is my proposed list:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Royal gramma, Gramma loreto
5 Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis
a paired goby and red banded pistol shrimp
1 coral beauty angelfish, Centropyge bispinosa
1 orange butterfly fish, Chaetodon kleini
2 blue-green chromis, Chromis viridis
1 orange-back fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis

Also considered, but eliminated because of space/ ratio of adult fish size to tank size
Chalk bass, Purple firefish, yellow-tail Damselfish.

What do y'all think?

Thank you!
Nancy

Is it a reef? If so the butterfly probably not such a good idea. Butterfly's can be finicky eaters and hard to keep.

A paired goby and pistol shrimp in that tank may get lost and rarely seen.

2 grammas unless a pair might fight but honestly in a tank that size you are probably ok and just bicker over the best hole in the rock.

Purple file fish would not survive and be bullied..

I would stay away from the green Chromis unless they are quarantined. Pretty much every batch I see has one with Uronema.

Is it a reef? If so the butterfly probably not such a good idea. Butterfly's can be finicky eaters and hard to keep.

A paired goby and pistol shrimp in that tank may get lost and rarely seen.

2 grammas unless a pair might fight but honestly in a tank that size you are probably ok and just bicker over the best hole in the rock.

Purple file fish would not survive and be bullied..

I would stay away from the green Chromis unless they are quarantined. Pretty much every batch I see has one with Uronema.
Thank you! Appreciate the advice!

I agree with @griss. Even ocellaris clowns can be territorial. You’d definitely be leaning heavier on stocking and with anthias feeding requirements, maybe pushing bioload. I would consider adding a skimmer in this case to help with potential nutrient export
Thank you! - Yes we will be adding a skimmer and an apex control. (I think that is what it is called!)

Back