Ecotech Vortech MP10 spinning backwards?

phreeflow

I have an old Ecotech Vortech MP10w that gets used in freshwater for 2 weeks a year, cleaned, and stored away.

Turned it on recently and it’s running in reverse and sucking water in through the front and out the sides.

Tried soft and hard reset, unplugged and replugged, cleaned wetside thoroughly and it’s still running backwards.

And no, I did not do any upgrades or touch the wiring or anything.

Anyone else experience this or know what’s going on?

Last edited:
I have never had a Vortech do this or ever heard of it before.

I would open the controller and reseat the motor plug on the board. My only idea is you have a bad connection on one of the wires going to the dry side motor.

And that is just a bald faced guess.

Contacted Ecotech and they just said to send it in for repair. No explanation. I’ll try opening it up and taking a look

IIRC
I believe there is a stop for the impeller.
When it hits the stop it bounces back in the right direction & runs the correct way.

Figured it out…wasn’t spinning backwards after all. Apparently, the 3 clips that hold the plastic plate of the impeller to the base was worn down for whatever reason. The propeller and the plate was spinning so fast I couldn’t tell. Guess it’s time for a new wetside if I can find one. Still don’t understand how a loose plastic plate spinning along with the impeller would reverse the flow but it was definitely sucking in from the front and out the sides. Odd.

Anyways, thx for the help

That’s good to hear that you figured it out. Perhaps the plate was spinning in the opposite direction? I have no idea but at least it’s figured out

Back