EMERGENCY! Sick Pony

stricknine

I have a black reidi sick as ever and turning completely white in areas. What can be the problem, or better yet, what can I do to help her?

Need more info. Tell us abput your setup. Tank parameters and tank mates. How long has this been going on? Is the Reidi captive bred or tank raised?
Any pic would help also.

Hi stricknine,
Sorry your reidi is having problems. As Ccall mentioned, we need much more information in order to help.

Please post your current water perams in actual numbers, Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate,PH and temp.

We need to know as much info as you can provide, tank setup,tank mates, eating, respiration of the horse, any physical abnormalities that you can see, such as cuts,scrapes,open wounds, swelling,etc.

Has the horse stopped eating, if so, how long has it been since she last ate?

Thanks all, but Im too late. :( Got home Friday and went to feed the tank, the seahorse looked aweful. Laboured breathing, and all looked fine aside from white patches and super sluggish behavior, which is weird because this was the much more spunky one, full of P&V the day prior. Would not eat, and it wasnt more than a couple of hours until she was gone.

Tank params were fine, 0 across the board, PH at 8.2-8.3, temp at a stable 75. Did a WC few days prior as well (weekly 20%). No previous signs of anything wrong. The night prior it was fine, and eating well.

The sad part now is I have a lonely only left in the tank. Not sure if it is going back to the LFS or if we may find a mate.

I am so sorry the horse didn't make it.

It occured to me that this horse may have been stung from your description.
Do you have any dangerous tank mates in this tank, such as stinging corals? If so they need to be removed immediately to protect the remaining seahorse.

The only thing in the tank are star polyps, a kenya tree, and 2 dead gargonians (bought them dead for perching). CUC consists of a few hermits, assorted snails, a brittle star, and of course: bristleworms.

Im still reading up on what it may have been with no luck. The only thought I have now is if there is something contagious in there.

It's also really handy to have a small quarantine tank set up where you can transfer sick individuals for treatment immediately they show signs of stress. It can be as simple as a 5 gal tank with a hitching post and a sponge filter in it. It's been my experience that unless you take action immediately the seahorse shows signs of discomfort (like the second missed feed) it's hard to bring them back from the edge. Sorry to hear you lost your seahorse.

Back