Escaping anemone - suggestions?

anemone fan

So I purchased a Entacmaea quadricolor 8 days ago at an LFS. It was in mediocre health, it had a tight mouth and ok color, but it wasn't sticky. I placed it in my 57 gallon (6 months old, 6 Amphiprion clarkii, 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates, 6*36 Tek T5HO, w/ skimmer) and it sat in one place for a couple days, hosted by clowns. Then it started to walk about, and was hanging out on the sand bed, not normal BTA behavior, so I thought that the clowns were probably harrassing it (the largest is about the size of the anemone) so I placed it in isolation in a eggcrate box. It seemed to be fine, I fed it multiple times with frozen mysis, now it is crawling though the egg crate box. Should I let it roam the tank or should I keep replacing into the box?

2 days after I got it.
DSC_0362.jpg

It escaping right now
DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2306.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd let it wander about. Looks like its ready to bury it's foot somewhere.

+1. You should give it a week not just a few days to find the spot it wants and burry its foot. If its been longer then that then I would start to worry.

If it were me I'd let it wander about. Looks like its ready to bury it's foot somewhere.

+1. You should give it a week not just a few days to find the spot it wants and burry its foot. If its been longer then that then I would start to worry.

It may have already found a hole in the rock. I just don't want it sitting on the sandbed; I don't want it to get sucked into a powerhead. Definitely going to put some Vexar mesh on my Korallias. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

That good to hear! Yes BTA's don't put their foot in the sand. they love to put their foot in a hole in the rock or a tight area between the glass and rock.

Back